I rescued a bee

Discussion in 'General' started by Greenant, May 1, 2010.

1. So I hate to kill insects. To me it just seems pointless. So I was walking inside after mowing the lawn, and I saw a bumble bee floating in my outdoor doggy dish, he looked super tired and frail. I pulled him out with my hands and put him on a note card. I took him up to my room and put him in an old unwashed breakfast bowl.

I named him Chester, I'm gonna look after him for a while.
    Send him some good vibes and hopefully he'll make a full recovery soon!

SNC00095.jpg

SNC00096.jpg

SNC00100.jpg

oh ya and how much honey should I feed it each day?

2. That reminds me, I need to go poison that wasp on my porch

3. Hes gunna recover, sting you then die.

4. it's probably going to die...it obviously can't fly.

5. haha just put some honey in front of him, I'm sure he'll know how much to eat.

6. get em stoned

7. They have to have both honey and pollen (the pollen is their source of protein) so putting him back out as soon as he can fly is a good idea.:)

8. wait wait...bee's EAT honey?! it all makes sense now.. what would they need all that honey for..

9. Chester is really making amazing progress. It won't be long before he's up to his usual beesiness. He loves his 3 day old cereal bowl. Which I ate Honey Bunches in!

SNC00109.jpg

10. Bumble bees don't loose their stinger when they sting because it's not barbed. And I thought only larvae needed honey and pollen, not grown bees. I could be wrong though..

11. True Bumblebees don't but, Honey bees do in fact have a barbed stinger. Here is a section from Wiki.

Although it is widely believed that a worker honey bee can sting only once, this is a partial misconception: although the sting is in fact barbed so that it lodges in the victim's skin, tearing loose from the bee's abdomen and leading to its death in minutes, this only happens if the victim is a mammal (or bird).[citation needed] The bee's sting is speculated to have evolved for inter-bee combat between members of different hives, and the barbs serve to improve penetration of the chitinous plates of another insect's exoskeleton. When bees sting elastic-skinned mammals, the barbs become a hazard to the bees as described above. Honey bees are the only Hymenoptera with a strongly barbed sting, though yellowjackets and some other wasps have small barbs.:smoking:

12. found a giant wasp in the hallway in my school once couldnt fly tryed saving it came out during class and i got suspended for the class for a couple of days :rolleyes:, i think killing insects is pretty pointless to :hello:

13. lmao today i found a huge honey hive on a tree in my backyard and right above it is a humming birds nest :3 ill post picks when my computer stops acting like a fag.

14. hahaha that's kinda offensive, but it was hella funny!

Update: Chester is now fully standing, and his wings are starting to spread. Last time I looked at him he was licking the bowl LOL! He hasn't tried flying yet.

I'm going over to a friends house, idk if I should leave him in my room or put the bowl outside?

SNC00110.jpg

15. Someone needs a new hobby.

16. It's interesting to see there are still people who care for insects. I treat them as a nuisance that will eventually fly (or crawl, creepy fuckers) into me, my food, or my general vicinity and commence to annoy the hell out of me. So it is with disdain that I eliminate the ones that cross my path or show up in my house.

I guess I have a vendetta against insects. :devious:

17. Uhhh I wouldn't be leaving a bee that's almost back to full health in my room to hide somewhere and sting me when I get home lol.. just sayin :p

18. I hate bees from being attacked by so damn many times.

Props though on caring. A lot people only give a shit about themselves.

19. leave him outside for the birds, that fucker will sting you when he's strong enough!

20. I kill the fuck out of bugs and spiders that get inside my house. I never fuck with bees though. Bees scare the hell out of me. I got stung a few times when I was a kid. Once in the eye, once behind my ear, once on the back of my thigh. I hate bees. Motherfuckers.