I recently broke my ankle, I'm in a cast, any tips

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by thedon420, Dec 13, 2009.

1. I have a bimalleor fracture and I'm basically looking for any tips either speed up my recovery, or at least ease the negative side effects of my cast.
    I can feel my lower leg muscles atrophing (sp?) and I've also noticed a significant decrease in calf muscle mass
    any tips that make dealing with a broken leg more bareable or any vitamin supplements that speed up the healing process of bone?
    it's really not as miserable as I thought it would be, so that's already a bonus, also my cast isn't lined with cotton, so it's also a lot less itchy than I expected

2. Calcium supps and plenty of milk wouldn't hurt.. but I dont think it'd make a big enough difference in healing time. Not really sure what to do about legs/ankles... basically the only things i have yet to break. If it does get itchy.. bend a metal clothes hanger straight to stick down the cast.. feels amazing.

3. #3 tharedhead, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009

I know people have done that since the invention of casts (and coat hangers) but the lovely new antibiotic resistant super bacteria are so much worse than they used to be...now, even the smallest scratch or break in the skin under the cast can lead to a nasty infection, and possibly the loss of the foot. Please refrain from scratching :)
    You may need physical therapy to recover lost muscle mass,you may wish to talk to your doctor.

4. My only advice, give it the full time to heal.

I'm walking on a fracture in my foot for the second time in 6 months, same location, its fuckin annoying.

PS take off the cast, its unnecessary, I use my Vans and it don't bother me none.

5. Haha for sure, go out and buy a new pair of skater shoes.. the padding will be so thick you won't need a cast!!

6. yeah, for sure let it heal.

7. ya the itching is no where near asd bad as i expected, but I got a few very large scrapes from the accident, and I'm afraid that my leg hair is healing into my skin, that's the only part that's bad. I'm a bit leary of the coat hanger thing because of the risk of infection. I'm getting a little bugged out from slight discoloration in my toes, but the doctor said that that's normal, must be somee synovial fluid that leaked into my foot

8. After you have a lot of bruising, you can get this long term discoloration due to the iron (from broken down red blood cells) being deposited under the skin. It takes a while for all that to be hauled off by your clean up cells (macrophages). As long as your toes are warm and have a pulse...