I need some honest opinions please!!!

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Beasters, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Well check it out here im in kind of a hard spot right now and i need some advice please. I've had a long childhood lots of surgeries in and out of inpatient mental hospitals and I have been diagnosed with Bipolar,ADD,ADHD,and Depression but I'm not trying to brag or anything or boast about anything. Im just saying ive had it a little harder then other people and im not good at holding a job so i figured i should apply for SSD. my wife thinks i should stay home and take care of our daughter while she goes out and works and thats the way its been for about 2 or 3 months now while ive been waiting on the decision from SSD and i just got my denial yesturday and me and my wife have been arguing because i say i want to get a job now and help contribute but she says not to and i should just stay at home keeping up the house and watching our daughter, she has some good points like we might have to pay for child care but we would be bringing in double the income. theres lots of stuff good in my eyes about getting a job but my wife just wants me to appeal the decision and be a stay at home dad..

Please help this is driving me crazy

2. You have to think, what is best for your family?

Think about it objectively... If you need the money right now then get a job, but if you need to spend time with your daughter and are getting by fine then stay with your daughter. You could try to get a job online doing something,, but seriously watch out for scams... They're fucking everywhere...

Do what you have to do man. How old is your daughter btw?

3. Well what does ssd mean? Hows the money situation? If your struggling then you should get a part time job. If you have plenty of money then I dont see whats the problem with staying home imo.

4. she will be 2 on dec.9th

SSD=Social Security Disability

we're behind on our rent a little bit but my wife is getting a $500 school refund check and we're planning on paying everything up then and everything else falls into place

5. Agreed, if you need the money, make the money. If it is not an issue, why not spend time with your child?

If you sorta need the money, part-time?

6. #7 MunchiesByProxy, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2008
    If it helps any they deny about 95% of applicants the first go round. Their technique to get people to give up before they receive their benefits. Your chances with an attorney go way up for the hearing.

The only thing now is it's gonna be a couple years before you get into the court room. Perhaps under the table work or some kind of tax free hustle? Remember: If your really disabled you wont be able to hold long term employment anyways, so waiting for the hearing would be worth it.

As stated above, your family has to be number one. Make a pros and cons list and go from there. Be realistic with yourself and make an informed decision. Good luck with whatever you decide. IMO Much Love.

7. Well you need to be realisitc and think of how much money you would actually be making. You also said you had trouble holding a job, so do you think you'll be able to hold a job, and what do you expect to be making?

It might be more valuable to take care of your kid, maybe thats whats better than working.

8. good shit homie thanks for the heart felt advice ;):)

9. Get a lawyer who specializes in Disability Law. They will most likely get your appeal
    through and will work on commission for a piece of the back disability you'll get.
    I'm on disability because I had an advocate through my doctors. Don't give up on your
    getting disability on the first try. Most people are refused the first time. Some are
    refused several times and eventually get disability. And the more you're refused, the more
    back disability pay you get.

I'm in very similar circumstances as you with similar history, and was granted disabled
    status on my second try.