I need some advice on my first grow.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Charlie0824, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Hey everyone,

This is my first post and it's about what will be my first grow. I plan on two plants at a time. I'll jump right into what I have going already...
    I have a 2'x3'x6' cabinet. I've painted the inside metallic silver. For lighting I have three 150w equivalent CFLs, 6500k for veg, and 2700k for flower. They'll be on a reliable timer. I'll be growing in straight coco coir. I have General Hydro flora series nutes and CaliMagic. I've ordered a pH testing and adjusting kit. For ventilation, I'll have a 110cfm PC fan in the canopy for inflow. The cabinet has small gaps in the walls and canopy for exhaust.

My primary concern is temperature and humidity. The cabinet is in my basement in the furnace room. I don't think the CFLs will put out enough heat to keep my cabinet between 70-75° where I'd like it. Ambient temp in the spring/summer is about 60-65° I really don't want to run a heater, since it's not economical. I figure it'd cost me about $100/mo to run a 1000W heater.

Can you guys think of an inexpensive way to generate some heat? I'm considering switching to a low power HID light, like a 150W HPS, but I'm concerned that might put out too much heat.

Any advice or constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks in advance.