I need help on understanding concentrates and their prices.

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Ayy1ma0, May 11, 2017.

1. I've been smoking flower for a couple months now. These concentrate pens have caught my attention. I tried doing research and I cannot find much information. Here is the scenario.

I am planning on purchasing an oil pen. Hopefully I get the terminology right. It has a battery and an oil cartridge on top, the cartridge is disposable. However, there is another type of pen. It has a glass globe on it, and you drop wax into this ceramic bowl in the middle. So.. couple questions overall.

Did I get my terminology correct? If not, I would appreciate correction.
    Oil cartridges or wax?
    Typical price for oil and/or wax? Are they sold in grams?
    Different types of threads on batteries? whaaaat

Thank you in advance, I am new to concentrates and I look forward to trying them.

2. #2 FloaterDork, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    I personally use the terms oil and wax interchangeably, because they're both generally referring to either butane honey oil or CO2 extracted oil, though many people use a lot of jargon to describe oil in various consistencies. Cartridges are very convenient, but you get bigger hits using wax, and have the option of moving up to a dab rig if you like them. Dabs get me more lit than cartridge hits. You'll also find that cartridges are usually $10-20+ more than the same wax from the same company not in a cartridge. They charge you a lot to pack it into a cartridge. Some companies depending on what state you're in use propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerin to thin the oil to get the oil into cartridges as well. These are the same chemicals used in ecig juice. You don't have to worry about that with wax. Every cartridge I've seen has had .510 threading, so that's not something to worry about. But if you go the cartridge route, you should buy one of the small $10 or so batteries that are controlled by your breath and meant for cartridges. A lot of ecig batteries are more than powerful enough to burn out a cartridge. In oregon half gram cartridges average $25-40. Grams are $50-70. Wax is usually around $35-50 a gram, but some stuff goes for $100+, and yesterday I got a couple grams of great stuff for $20 each during a flash sale. Outside of the stores it averages $10-20.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks so much man, life saver lmao

Dank dank dank dank dank

4. Alrighty I will break it down for ya,

Your terminology is close enough, battery and cartridges are right, the ceramic bowl you are referring to in the other type of wax pen is the coil or atomizer.

I prefer oil cartridges for my vape pens because they are discreet and very easy i.e. no needing to reload the pen with wax and after a little use those pens can get really gunky and sticky, I tend to save my actual wax for dabbing in my rig.
    Typical price for the cartridges, assuming you are in a legal state will run around 30-45 for a half gram or 500 ml cartridge, and probably 45-80 for full gram or 1000 ml cartridges, price will be based on the type of extraction and brand, I tend to look for distillate or raw cartridges, although I am in a non legal state so I will take what I can get.

Typical price from wax, again assuming you are in a legal state will run anywhere from 35-70 a gram depending on quality and method of extraction. BHO (Butane Hash Oil) will likely be cheapest while Rosin (Using pressure and heat to extract the oil from the plant) will likely be the most expensive.

Look for a 710 threaded battery, this is what 90% of cartridges and atomizers use for wax pens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Another brilliant response, thanks my dude!

• Like Like x 1