I Need Help Designing A Grow Box

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by ChronikTokR, Jan 19, 2006.

1. hi, i just recently started growing some plants in box with mylar and a florscent bulb. i would like to design a grow box for my apartment that will have a 400 wat HPS/HID light system. any one have any ideas let me know. i am not to sure how many plants/size of box that would work for that size light. if any one has any thing on autocad i am familiar witht he software so that would help.

thanks

2. what kind of space are you looking at? a closet works pretty well with a 400w.

3. i do have a closet which i am growing my plants in now. im using an old aquarium to start the veg. its a about 2 feet deep, a little more than 5 feet up to the shelf and over 10 feet wide.

4. just an idea, but you could try building a box in there at 5 or 6 feet wide with plywood and 2x4s. Just make sure to plan everything out to actually go together in your space.

5. thats the problem. im not to sure what kind of set would be good. and im kinda new to this so im not to experianced in the different setups. i was looking at one that used chicken wire to make the plants smaller then the tops grew through it and under the wire was just stems. what kindo of set up is that and what would i need?

6. That is known as a screen of green, or a SCROG. There is various information here about it, as well as on OG.

7. yeah, screen of green can be set up a number of different ways. Search here and the forums at overgrow.com for examples and how-to's. hempculitvation.com/420 and uk420.com may also have some help on ScrOG.

You have the option of actually building a box or dedicating the closet to the grow. A box will eliminate some space but will give you more control over the climate. Using the closet will give you more space but you're going to have to seal up light leaks and figure out ventilation.

Then you can build a frame (or fab something up connected to the box) for your chicken wire or whatever. There are many tutorials out there with the specifics for how you need to do ScrOG, but your options are really only limited by your imagination. Just remember to take LOTS of measurements, write them down, draw pictures, etc before you start building things.

8. next question.

i decided to go with a box that will be 3'wx1.5'dx4'h. use a 150watt HPSand have 3 plants in it. what kind of ventilation should i use and how high up should the screen be from the soil? also will a 150 watt be enough light?