i need advice college vs joining the airforce

Discussion in 'General' started by procommunism, Nov 14, 2011.

1. hey everyone, im a senior in highschool this year and im debating between going to community college for 2 years and then transfering to western illinois university to do somthing with finance or accounting. i have had my mind set on being a buisness man since 8th grade, i had to write a career essay, and i wrote on being a stock broker. but anyways my parentss are divorced i live with my mom, my dad no where to be found :( but anyways i dont know if i should join the airforce and then go to college because they will pay for it or should i take out student loans to go to college? my sister went to school on student loans and she is doing great right now. i wana follow in her footsteps and get a finance degree like she did. but the problem is i dont have any money for college. should i go to college and get in debt like 40 grand or go to the airforce? i really dont know if i could handle 4 years of not being with friends and family. please give me some advice on the pro's and cons of both sides, and what you would reccomend,
    thanks!

2. Well joining the airforce just so they would pay for your school seems excessive. Unless you really want to, or feel you need excitement in your life, take the loan. Get a job so you can pay off the loan.

3. Just go to school man.

I always thought it would be cool to be a fighter pilot though. Fly F18's and dogfight Soviet Mig's (I fully realize that Fighter Pilots make up a very small percentage of the Air Force).

4. In order for the Air Force to pay for your school, you are required to stay in the Air Force and be active duty for like 3-5 years. So really its not free at all ha. And of course, you wont be smoking during that time becuase they do test very often. If I were in your shoes I would do the college route no doubt and just use that 3-5 years you woulda been stuck in the military to pay for school. Unless you were going to get like an engineering degree or something where you would get experience as an engineer in the Air Force, but like you said you wanted to be a businessman and thats something you dont really do in the Air Force ha.

5. Let me sum up the airforce for you.

Bootcamp.

Literally the two worst months of your life. You have never experienced true fear until you get to this point. You really have no idea what you are getting into by going there. You will have someone screaming in your face multiple times per day. Your flight will always let you down and in return you will end up doing at least 2 hours of exercise per day. Doesnt sound too bad but the MTIs usually work everyone until you get to muscle failure. I have seen people in my flight throw up all over each other doing burpees.

At least you get to sleep right? Yeah, not really. You're supposed to get 6 hours a night but you never do because of random dorm inspections that happen all the time. This is where other instructors wake you up at 4 in the fucking morning by throwing shit all around the dorm, claiming its "not clean". Oh, and then there is the crying that just about everyone does. The phone calls home you never get, the letters you never have time to write, and the 5 minutes you get in the defac to eat as much as you can. No talking, no laughing and absolutely no smiling for two months! Picture yourself constantly looking over your shoulder, scared out of your mind, alone, cold everynight.

And there is no way out once you get to bootcamp.

Go to college. Learn from my past mistakes.

6. yea man, thats exactly what i thought, but some people have said its not bad, thanks for your help :cool:

7. [quote name='"Nukes1337"']Let me sum up the airforce for you.

Bootcamp.

Literally the two worst months of your life. You have never experienced true fear until you get to this point. You really have no idea what you are getting into by going there. You will have someone screaming in your face multiple times per day. Your flight will always let you down and in return you will end up doing at least 2 hours of exercise per day. Doesnt sound too bad but the MTIs usually work everyone until you get to muscle failure. I have seen people in my flight throw up all over each other doing burpees.

At least you get to sleep right? Yeah, not really. You're supposed to get 6 hours a night but you never do because of random dorm inspections that happen all the time. This is where other instructors wake you up at 4 in the fucking morning by throwing shit all around the dorm, claiming its "not clean". Oh, and then there is the crying that just about everyone does. The phone calls home you never get, the letters you never have time to write, and the 5 minutes you get in the defac to eat as much as you can. No talking, no laughing and absolutely no smiling for two months! Picture yourself constantly looking over your shoulder, scared out of your mind, alone, cold everynight.

And there is no way out once you get to bootcamp.

Go to college. Learn from my past mistakes.[/quote]

I went to College and earned a Bachelor's in Economics and a Master's in Business and I must admit....
    It was much more enjoyable than the "Bootcamp" insight
    College Rocks!
    Go to College!!
    I have loans, but also a good job:)
    It's worth it

8. Go airforce first dude. I would NOT go to college if I had to take out a student loan. Taking out a loan puts alot of pressure on you, and is so much d=money that it's near debilitating, you will be paying it off for 20 years. Student loans are the next american epidemic.

9. Boot camp scary? Haha really?

Basic training is a blast! You learn about yourself (forget the drill sergeants, they're just doing their job), you learn weapons tactics and health tips.

If you can get to west point, it's a good school.

Military isn't for everyone, but it can shape you into a more solid person.

10. whatever you feel pasionate and comfortable with. not always about making money is loveing what you do.

11. hey man, dont listen to the dumbheads telling you the airforce is hard.. sure, training is not gonna be easy, but dont be a bitch! the whole reason that it is so tough is it is supposed to weed out the weak people.. i think joining the airforce would be one of the best things you could do with your life! joining does not mean you are committed to a career, but it does entitle you to respect, honor, and a damn good resume. PLUS they pay for school?? dont be naive. i would definitely give it a chance, and WORST case you make some money, meet some new people, and earn a respectable resume.

12. If you are even having the smallest doubt I wouldn't join the AF.

Student loans are a pretty good deal though, they give you so much time to pay them off.

13. [quote name='"daltonmc"']Go airforce first dude. I would NOT go to college if I had to take out a student loan. Taking out a loan puts alot of pressure on you, and is so much d=money that it's near debilitating, you will be paying it off for 20 years. Student loans are the next american epidemic.[/quote]

Loans suck!
    However, loans vs. no education
    I'm taking education every time no doubt
    Unless your parents are wealthy, and I'm guessing no based on the topic of student loans being present...
    GO TO COLLEGE!!
    It's worth the money even if you have to go in debt
    And until the day secondary education is free, that's the way it is
    Best of luck sorting through conflicting views

The Tweety Nird

14. i would enlist only if you WANT to be in the air force. sign your life away for 3+years, find out you hate it, your stuck in the air force for 3 years; that would SUCK. if you want it than do it. basic training is a whole lot of fun (if your into that kind of stuff) than you get to do a sweet job with cool technology you wouldn't get to play around with other wise. thats one of the reasons im joining the army, i mean really, when am i going to get the opportunity to drive around in a humvee, firing a .50 cal off the roof? (for all the blades who want to jump down my throat about this comment, CALM DOWN; im not some trigger happy meat head that thinks shooting people is fun)

15. Go to College. Have fun, network, and choose a career you want to do. Don't get stuck in the air force being military police somewhere in Korea.

16. pro communism with those goals?

17. Some good things about the military prior to college: the va loan, three hots and a cot while you save up money, the jac (going to college while you're in).

Some bad things: for 4 years, you are going to be someone elses bitch, not just a bitch but a bitch who does not reserve the right to protest or question what is being asked/demanded of you without some major consequences, the absurd amount of cliques and gangs present, the fact that you WILL be going to the middle east or somewhere equally miserable, if you have any sort of mental instability, it will be brought out, enhanced and exploited.

I dunno, I'm sure there's other pros and cons out there but I'm on my phone right now and my hands are cramping.

Think of it like this, the military (any branch) is going to be just like real life… except turned up to 11. That teacher you hate coz he locks the door 30 seconds after class is going to outrank you and that means that you gotta do whatever he says, those popular kids that make fun of the slow kid with bo in your class. Yeah, they outrank you too, so suck it up. However, it could very well be one of the most rewarding experiences in your life if you make it.

Oh, and whatever the recruiter tells you is a lie.

18. air force, they will pay for your college, and u get to travel free..

19. no , most ppl dont go to the middle east, he could end up in japan(i know someone there,germany,texas,cali,...