I kind of feel like an asshole

Discussion in 'General' started by belfastbob, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well I could make this really long but I'll keep it really short.

I'm a nice guy... a really nice guy... I'm kind and gentle but affirmative and confident so no, I'm not a pushover.

I work in sales... you know those guys who call you during your evening meal to sell you boiler insurance? That's me. I'm that guy. If you don't hate me already you will very shortly.

My job is to get sales, that's how I earn my daily bread.

Today I called a really old woman and she couldn't really afford the product I sell (Boiler insurance)... after all, she's old, on a pension and it's the credit crunch.

Now it's my job to sell and my job's on the line at the minute, what could I do?

I didn't just sell to her but I made a point (for my own benefit in getting extra bonus points) of upselling her to the most expensive package despite the fact I know she couldn't afford it/wanted it...

And you know what... I'd do it again and again and again if it meant I earned bonus...

Does this make me an asshole? I kind of feel bad... the whole "what if it were your your granny" thing...

If somebody tried to do that to my granny I'd fuck em up....

2. you're an arsehole

seriously

3. I do feel bad about it but if I don't get another 4 sales tomorrow... I'm going to lose my job...

It was kind of 'me or her' kinda thing..

4. Yep.:wave:

5. You feel like an asshole because you are an asshole, asshole. :p

Hey gotta do what you gotta do to put food on the table man. At least your not sellin heroin or crack or something and destroying peoples lives when they too cannot afford it after awhile and then they have to resort to stealing/etc.

6. You are seriously a huge asshole.

7. yep, your a wanker. imagine if that was your mum/grandma getting swindles by some shady saleman. you wouldnt be best pleased

8. Gotta do what ya gotta do man

I guess its one of those survival of the fittest things. I mean shit she could have hung up or just said sry i cant good bye; ya know. So dont feel to bad its ur job

Think of it this way gangsters dont give a fuck when they rob some one, so why should u care if u sell someone something they cant afford when its there job to say NO.

9. She was an old women.,,

And that is a terrible attitude to have.

I say that in the nicest way possible.:rolleyes:

10. Well yea she was an old woman, and I feel shit for doing it but it's my job on the line here.

What would you do in that situation? An old lady is in the way between you and your goal? You just give it up because some old lady is there?(EDIT: If you don't reach your goal you don't have a job and can't eat)

Let me explain it a little bit.

This morning it was a 80% chance I'll be losing my job soon due to under-performance. Since I got that sale it was up to around 55% sure I'm losing it and the fact that I upsold her reduced that to around a 33% chance I'll be losing my job... What could I do?

I was hoping for some reassuring "did what you had to" responses to kind of make myself feel a little better... but on second thoughts, with all due respect, meh. I'd rather have my job.

11. This reminds me of the mortgage crisis. I would never do that even if it meant losing my job.

12. Youre straight in my eyes, Bob. everyone gotta get theirs.

13. i hate you, im all for taking advantage of the elderly, but you disgust me

14. Actually i was offered a job in sales like yours the other day. I said no. Guess il be hungry but at least i'm not ripping innocent granny's off and stealing thier pension money.:p

15. #15 belfastbob, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
    Ok ok well while people are going to be all abusive to me, I'm going to get my hairs up here. For those who aren't for me or atleast understanding of my position: Fuck you.

I did what I had to.. let me emphasise this point here assuming you're an adult...

YOU DO UNDERSTAND WHAT IT MEANS TO LOSE YOUR JOB???

MORTGAGE, CAR, FOOD, MAYBE KIDS IF YOU HAVE THEM???

Disrespect and saying "fuck you" to our members doesn't float here. You made the thread, dude. You reap what you sow. *RMJL

16. The same can be said for the person you're taking advantage of.

17. Why did you make this thread then man?

You asked everyone if they thought you were an asshole...

You raised the question, just because it's not the answer you were looking for don't start getting moody.
    I think you have some hidden guilt.

18. No I'm pretty sure they won't lose their house over £26 a month versus my thousand...

19. Maybe now she can't afford her prescription and dies. jk. Wtf is boiler insurance and does she have a contract?

20. WTF are you talking about? She's not going to lose her house over this.

Unfortunately all the people on here who said they would lose their job before doing this, they're full of shit, or they most likely still live at home with no rent/mortgage/bills/etc. Perhaps people don't understand how hard it is to get a job in the current economy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.