I just don't know what to do anymore.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by PurpDanks, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Hey GC, I'm 18 and a senior in high school. My older sister is 19 and a freshman at a college in New York (we live in Connecticut). My parents are both divorced and remarried to other people.

Over the past 4 years of high school its come down to this: neither of my parents want me at either house. So you think they'd be excited to send me away to school right? (I have a 3.1gpa), but no, they're making me commute to college and paying 6,000 a year for me, and 32,000 a year for my sister to live at college in New York.

I'll be honest, me and my parents don't exactly get along, its always been a love/hate relationship. And at times I can be disrespectful. But now, for the past month or 2 I've been living at my moms since I got kicked out of my dads. I got kicked out of my dads because my sister got caught with pot and told my parents I did it too. Fucked up right?

Anyways, I've been living at my moms and I've always had issues with my step dad. When I was 12 he tried to strangle me over an argument because we had no food in the house and I wanted to go to McDonalds. It wasn't until last year in therapy that my mom finally said to my face that my step dad was wrong for laying his hands on me.

I guess I don't have good relationships with males in my family, my dad and I are definately in a love hate relationship. He's a very difficult person to deal with and I understand he's this way because he lived house to house with different family members growing up due to his alcoholic mom and severely drug addicted brother (who later OD'd).

My dad is extremely stubborn and opinionated. This is a little exaggerated but it's to make a point: he hates Obama, if I were to say that Obama rules then he would start yelling at me and like blaming me for the poor economy and shit. I've been kicked out of his house for arguing so many times, never for alcohol or pot or anything, until a month ago.

I know a lot of people will say, "well just stop arguing," and honestly, you're right, but it's a lot harder for me than it sounds. I really think I am one of the best arguers that I've ever met (which may be my downfall), but I pride myself on that skill as I aspire to be a great lawyer someday.

But I have stopped my arguing, I generally keep to myself now, just me and my lap top, and no pot, because I'm getting drug tested randomly. So now my mom doesn't want me to live with them because I don't act like family and talk to everyone. To be completely honest, do you think my step dad actually cares about my school day, and do you think I actually care about his work day? I find it easier to just not talk than to force an awkward conversation that neither of us really want to have.

My step dad has really ruined my relationship with my mom, I told her all the time that I didn't like him and didn't want her to marry him, but she did anyway, and now she's....well....a total bitch. Like the type of mom who if you leave a napkin on the counter, she won't just throw it away for you, she'll walk all the way upstairs to my room and tell me to throw it away, and that's not an exagerration.

Now at her house I just do what they say, every chore, every dish, every cleaning of the litter box I do without even mumbling something under my breath like I used to, and they still don't want me.

Just right now, I kid you not, this moment, my mom came down and got her laptop from next to me on mine and just took it upstairs, if she's not even going to sit next to me on the computer and make an attempt to bond with me then why should I even try/care anymore?

I just feel like my parents have been holding me back from what I want to do and who I want to be for the past 4 years. We live in a very rich town, my Dad and step mom appear rich because we have a nice looking house and decent cars, but we are in major debt so things are tight, and we have my little half brother to worry about. At my moms house, my step dad is loaded, we have an 08 infiniti g35 that sits in the garage and is probably driven once every two weeks, a 09 rav4 thats driven daily, and in the backyard garage there's an RX7, I don't know what year it is. And we have like 3 plasma tv's and surround sound in every room. So you'd think I'd be a privileged child, right?

Wrong, I get absolutely nothing. There's never any food in the house, only Raman noodles and frozen vegetables. I wasn't allowed to get car insurance until I had a job (which I got a month ago, and this is my third job, I've been working since I was 15) and now that I can drive, I can only drive my step moms shitty ford focus and have to be home at 11 o'clock curfew, as opposed to 11:30 when I'm not driving. I can't drive any of the cars I listed that we have at my moms house, and I can't drive my dads.

Without driving, I'm cut off from my friends. I live on the complete opposite end of town and it's near impossible to find rides from other people. It sucks going into school mondays and hearing about all the parties there were that you couldn't go to. Even for sports, I can't go to lacrosse training after school because I have no way to get home, I'm cut off from the team and their training, so while everyone else is working hard and bonding as a team, I'm stuck at home lifting weights by myself, which isn't very motivating.

I'm sorry, this has become a rant, I'm just tired of all this.

I guess the point of writing this was just to get some stuff off my chest.

Do any of you face similar living situations where neither of your parents want you, if so, what do you do to make it better?

Also, for anyone who actually takes the time to read this and give me feedback (positive or negative) I would greatly appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I cannot give +rep, only neutral rep, so I ask that anyone would who can give +rep give it to those who help me out, I know it maybe be a lot to ask, but I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks GC, sorry for the long read.

2. Damn that fucked up how your sister did you like that. But anyway you made it these 4 years eventually your gonna be free I guess thats all you can look forward too...Sounds like jail for real

3. ya I know i can look forward to the future being on my own.

but it just sucks to think that high school is supposed to be the best time of your life for some people, and it wasn't even close to that for me. it's 4 years i'll never get back of my life

4. That sucks man. Go to college and hopefully you can get a place of your own after.

Remember to be a good parent when you grow up. Break the Cycle.

and your sister can go fuck herself

5. Theres no point on crying over spilt milk. Look to the future, you have talent, be a great lawyer. Tell both your parents what you aspire in life, tell them your situation and ask for financial backing, asking can't hurt.

6. I live in conneticut to OP. Where is CT r u from man?

7. let me start by saying sorry...then let me follw that up with your mom is a fucking bitch

If she didn't leave him the day he layed hands on you then that would have been the end of my relationship....I know this is gonna sound bad but maybe college is not whats needed for you right now. Maybe working more/moving out would be the best for the current situation

Also it sounds to me like you are expecting something...You said yourself that you feel "like my parents are holding me back".

The only one holding you back is you

Anyways man keep your head up and stay postive...If things are really that bad then maybe a re-evaluation of your life is in order

8. Im sorta in the same situation just not as bad. (i have it easy compared to you) My mom over reacts, but me and my dad are cool (parents divorced)
    I cant drive any of our cars, have a 10:30 curfew, my mom's dumbass boyfriend is a dick, my sister gets whatever she wants, even though im the one with a 3.8 gpa.

im just ready to go to college, and not worry about these semi-terrible HS years

9. i appreciate this post.

by "holding me back" i just mean from a social life. there's so many parties and even sporting events or just get togethers that I couldnt go to, which reduces chances of making friends. also, without driving privileges it's tough to be chasing girls, no girl in my town wants to have the guys mom driving them to the movies or whatever.

and I really can't work more and move out, I know that I would definitely struggle with bills and i don't want to be struggling financially this early in my life.

also, I would have no problem getting a loan from a bank (i trust in myself that i'll be successful enough to pay it off) to pay for me to live at college instead of commute, but my parents need to cosign the load, which they would never do

10. Go away to college and don't look back. Before you leave tell your parents what you just told us. Try to be your own man and be able to not rely on your parents for $$$$.

BTW you're not missing much in highschool, even as a senior. It's really overrated.

11. Dude... I feel so shitty for you.

Listen, you sound like you got a good clean head on your shoulders. Realize that your parent's/step parents issues are theirs and theirs alone.

If you want to be a great lawyer, you're going to have to work at it. I don't know what its like for a kid with your 'apparent' wealth to try to get financial aid, but if you work hard and keep your attitude positive and keep rememembering what you're working to get away from you'll be whatever you want to be.

Realize that your parents have different issues for different reasons, and for whatever reason aren't willing to face them and fix them. You'll have issues in your own life, we all do, but work to fix them and when you go to get married make sure its with a person you love and when you have children make sure you break the cycle...unfortunately for some of us that's a burden we have to face.

Keep you're head up dude... People say 'High School is the time of your life' and that's usually because it was the only time they had a life.

12. Good luck man, karma will fix things out in time just keep slugging through

your sisters a bitch dude and she'll get her own.

13. hey OP, I dont really have any advice for you but maybe it would make you feel better to know you arnt the only one who has had to deal with that kind of situation.

My parents put my younger brother through a private school that cost $17,000 a year to go to from K-12 and then paid for him to go off to college at Boulder University.

I was put in a public school and had to pay for myself to go to a Community college in the area before I finally said fuck it and moved in with some friends who were going to a university near the community college i take courses at.

Gotta just deal and get out as soon as you can things get better.

14. I feel so bad for you man. Nobody should have to go through what you are going through. Most of the time when people have problems they know they can always go back to their family and get support. For you to not even have this is truly sad. If I was in your shoes I would use everything that im going through as motivation to finally leave that hell hole. Everyday I would try to make some sort of progress no matter how big or small. Best of luck to you. I seriously hope you succeed in life. Just take it one day at a time. YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS!

15. #15 PurpDanks, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2010
    thanks man, it feels good to finally get some support from people

:::eek:h and just so people know, im not like a bitch who gets pushed around by my step dad, though i think GC is nice enough to not judge me like that, he's 5'8 and im 6'3 and play football and lacrosse and i would absolutely drop him in a fight, im a fighter, just not a domestic disturbance family fighter haha

16. I was in the same exact situation with my mom/step dad, he completely ruined our relationship. I haven't spoken a word to my step dad in a few months and I love it that way, I truly hate him. Have a one on one chat with your mom and tell her what you told us, you feel not wanted and restrained from the life you should have. She may feel bad and give you some leeway but your relationship should increase dramaticly

17. I know what you mean man. My dad died a while ago, but my mom is a total bitch. The moment I walk into the room she just scowls at me, and I honestly don't think she's spoken nicely to me in years. I almost forget what it's like to have a real mom, because there's really no love/care here. It's pretty bad, I can't exactly go to my family for support, you know? Even my brothers aren't afraid to admit I've always been the least favorite. It's brutal living like this, man, I feel you.

18. trust me dude, i've done that, she says "if you dont like the way things are then go live at your fathers." but my dad doesnt want me there, there's no place to go. a few friends have offered to let me live with them, but im sure their parents arent up for that, and they're not like "best friends" i dont really have a best friend, i just have friends who enjoy ditching me whenever they feel like it.

19. just learn from your parents mistakes. Keep a close relationship wit yo kids if you ever have any and don't buy shit u don't need or necessarily want. Keep working hard and get a cheap apartment or find someone looking for a roomate. your 18 you can do what you want. good luck

20. I read it all. Sounds like you need to get the hell out of there. I'm sure that when you are separated from your family your relationships will get much better.