Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I have Tourette Syndrome

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Ikoniak, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Ever since I was 8 years old, I was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome. Now that I am 22 years old, I have served 4 years in the Navy, and I am going back to college. My Tourette's have calmed down over the years dramatically, but not all the way suppressed.

I still get little tics here and there, and every once in a while, I have some pretty bad episodes.

A thing that I have noticed, is when I toke it up, almost ALL of my TS vanish. I was completely taken back by this. So, I did some research, and found out that there has been many studies done on patients with TS, and has been very conclusive.

The thing that blows my mind the most, is I remember when I was a little kid, I was taking 8 pills every morning, afternoon, and night. Since TS is still unexplained, they where all experimental medication. None of it worked, and my parents just pretty much "Gave up" and just decided I would grow out of it.

Next weekend, I am going to the doctors to receive my medical MJ card. It is absolutely unbelievable how much my TS is suppressed with MJ.

Thing is, I am not sure how to tell my pops. I am currently living with him and my little sister (15), while I am getting back on my feet and get accepted to a university. (Currently attending community college [I have a full ride scholarship from the Navy]). I know he smoked much pot when he was a kid, and I have had mild discussions about MJ with him and he seems pretty pro-pot. But everyonce in a while he always throws in a "Dont smoke too much pot, it will make lethargic, and you have schoolwork to do"

So I have mixed emotions about telling him. I will be obtaining my MMJ card here soon regardless, and I am pretty sure he knows I smoke pot already.

So should I approach him about it, or keep it modest like I am now?

Thanks for reading my long rant. :)

2. first, i would like to say im very happy that you found a treatment that works for you.
    TS can be a ravenous condition, and a good buddy of mine just got mmj for his symptoms.

i would approach him with this mentality- "it is the absolute best treatment for my ailment, and who are you to take that away from me."

if he loves you, which im sure he does, he shouldnt have a problem with it.

i mean itll be legal too

3. I would tell him. Also I noticed you're from Lompoc, I live near you in Atascadero.

4. Its great that MJ is helping you. There should be no shame in telling your father about using medical marijuana. He should be understanding. It helps your life, and you need it. So, what can he say. Im sure he wont "dis-own" you.

5. The courage you have to have that conversation with your dad is the courage that
    all of us will soon need to talk to those who we've grown up with who are
    miseducated on marijuana. Since your dad appears pro-pot go for it man.

Props on your MMJ discovery I always like to see people getting it for the right
    reasons.

6. Thanks a lot guys, I was really in the middle about telling him. Now I am just going to man up, and tell him. I will keep you guys updated, and thank you. :)

My uncle is from there. He is a nurse at your guys' state hospital.

7. I would definetly tell him, I mean if you was to tell him you discovered an all new pill from the doctors that almost completely gets rid of your TS then i'm usre he would be very happy. It just turns out that the pill is MJ ;)

Great to see the MJ spreadin' the lurve.

8. You're an adult and a vet, you shouldn't have to tell your father anything if you don't want to.

9. I've been lurking on these forums for a while without really feeling the need to post anything, but I had to register to post in this thread. I was diagnosed with TS around the same age you were, when I was 10. For several years prior to my diagnosis I was diagnosed with various other psychiatric disorders (ADD, ADHD, so on, neither of which I believe I have) and I was on, at various times, Ritalin, Concerta, Welbutrin, and other prescriptions. That whole experience was terrible, my parents and I both regret that I went through it, and I still can't deal with stimulants of any sort. That's an entirely different story, though.

My TS has waxed and waned in intensity and characteristic (as I think is typical) over the years. I had more of a problem with vocal tics like throat-clearing when I was young that disappeared before high school (I've retained just one vocal tic: a hiccup-like throat-clearing that can't really be heard except in an empty room), and in high school I went through periods as long as 6 months where I would be 90% tic-free (there are certain tics I always retained - the aforementioned throat-clearing and a head-nodding thing. but in periods where I otherwise had no tics they were weak enough to be pretty much undetectable by other people unless they were looking closely) as well as periods where my ticcing would be so bad that a combination of a nodding and shrugging tic had me going around during the day (especially when I tried to suppress the tics in public, which is hard not to do to some degree) with an arched neck, pain in my upper spine, and feeling like I had whiplash all day, every day. I was on and off different classes of drugs during this period, and my drug intake never seemed to have any correlation with the intensity of my TS. I've taken away a pretty negative point of view towards anti-depressants from this period. When I was on anti-depressants, I invariably felt like I wasn't myself. I don't ever want to touch those as a treatment for tics again. I think no matter how much they help it'll always be offset by how unnatural they make my mind feel. The tics can really get in the way of your life, but at the same time they do feel like part of your mind.

I didn't even try mj until after I had graduated high school. I was always one of the "smart"/"honors" kids, although I was more of a B+ average student than a straight-A student, and didn't smoke weed or drink. This wasn't out of any prejudice I had towards substances, and in fact I've always held the "freedom of body and mind" point of view. I just wasn't part of the crowd where that stuff was readily available (or thought about and discussed, really). Anyway, to get back to my story, I decided with a friend of mine to give the stuff a try. I was thoroughly educated about responsible drug use from reading Erowid frequently, which I had always done out of a passive psychoactive interest, and I was with good friends, so it was a really positive experience.

Only after becoming a semi-regular user (2-4 times a week) did I notice the same thing you did - mj seems to make my TS just disappear entirely. Not only do I not tic at all when I'm high, more importantly, my tics seem to be, without fail, 95% gone in periods where I am smoking at least once every 3-4 days. I also feel like weed is something that should always be part of my life, something that I've been waiting my whole life to be reunited with. I'm now going to a pretty good and difficult college now and my use doesn't interfere with my schoolwork as some people say it does with theirs. I feel more motivated and able right now to dedicate myself to study.

All in all I'm in a really good place right now and for the first time in my life can go a day, a week, without even thinking about my tics. I credit this to the herb. Unfortunately, I have to fight against the legal status and social stigma that it carries. I don't have an MMJ card, but I have been thinking that it is a step I should definitely take. I too am I worried what my parents will think. My dad is a pretty straight-laced, serious guy, but at the same time he has always been generally supportive of me making my own decisions. I have no idea if he has a history with weed. I know that my mom has smoked in the past, back in the 70s when she was in college. I haven't broached the topic with them. I also don't really know the situation with MMJ in my state and the procedure for seeking a card.

I'm sorry if this post really rambles or if its seems like I'm hijacking your thread, I smoked a little while ago and I'm sort of in a residual half-stone right now haha. It's very cool to know there are other people out there for whom marijuana has helped with TS, best of luck to you in the future man.

10. Wow. I was completely floored by your post.

I seem to have had an almost exact lifestyle you had as you where a kid.

I was also diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, Asbergers, etc. Along side with my TS. However, just as you did; I as well did not believe I had these symptoms, and that the only reason I was diagnosed with them, was so the doctor could make more money.

I didn't start smoking until I was out of the service. I also had the mindset in school of a free "body and mind" and that outside substances shouldn't be introduced. Of course, that was an ignorant way of life, and couldn't be more happier.

It really brings a smile to my face that over all these years, there are people out there that experienced the same thing I did.

Thanks a lot for your post dude. Made my day :)

11. well man, that's real crazy FUCK that u have FUCK tourettes

12. My dad works there as well haha

13. Congrats on MJ helping you.

I have a question though since I'm joining the Navy myself and you mentioned you served for 4 years.

How did you get accepted into the Navy with Tourette's and Asbergers?
    I didn't think they would let you in with that diagnosis, did you have to lie or get a waiver?

14. Lmao. But kinda offensive.:D:eek:

15. All I can say is thats awesome that you found something to pretty much cure your TS. This is why I cant stand people who think marijuana isnt benificial and think that people make up reason how MJ helps them, its just ignorant, but I'm very happy you found that MJ helos you

16. I just never brought it up. It isn't very noticeable.

They do not dig up medical records on you, whatever medical records you give to the recruiter, is what will be in your military record.

You would not believe the fucked up people they let in the military.

Judging by your post, you seem like a bright guy, you won't have a problem joining.

Hope this helps!

17. Just wing it. Tell him you have a considerable problem. If he is a good father and friend, he will understand and back your decision. From what you've told us, he seems like a pretty good guy. I hope everything plays out alright.

Good luck.

18. Thanks a lot buddy.