I have some questions about rooting clones in the beggining of my 12/12 flowering

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Suppa_K, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Ok so I have only one grow space at the moment, and I want to put my plants into flowering now, well not RIGHT now but in a week or two. They are pretty much a foot high, not as high because I topped but they are exploding with growth.

Now my question is, will clones be alright under lower spectrum light(2700k) until they root? I also know your not suppose to take clones from plants in flowering, but these will be taken right at the time I make the switch, or even before so I dont think that will be a major problem.

Also, if I want to just SEX them, how do I go about doing so, flip them into 12/12 for 2 weeks or so until they show? Should I also change up the lights for the soft white ones while I do this or not needed if I plan on flipping back to veg.

Thanks alot.

Here they are as of right now today, 35 days old and counting.

[​IMG]

2. Well typically clones that are rooting need to be on the 18/6 lighting (vegetative). Usually when I want to sex a plant, I take clippings from it, wait just until those are rooted, then put the rooted clippings on a 12/12 lighting. I wait a couple weeks to determine the sex and if they are female I take more clippings from the original "mamma" so I can grow those up to be healthy plants to flower.

As for light spectrum, just remember that you are trying to replicate the Sun. In natural outdoor grows the light in the fall changes to more of an orange when the days get shorter. For flowering, you want that orange spectrum. Personally I veg with T-5 fluorescent foxtures, but I know many ppl that have grown start to finish with a 2700K spectrum. Will it work? yes. Will you have better results with a mixed more full spectrum? Probably, because it would be closer to the actual sun.

As for flipping back to veg after you flower, it can stress your plant and cause it to become a hermaphrodite, which means seeds. If that's your goal, great. If you want high grade, seedless, I wouldnt recommend it.

3. It's also okay to clone when your plant is flowering just a little tougher to get the root growth...Plants are looking great, good job.

4. #4 Suppa_K, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
    I understand what your saying Kate but I would like to try to harvest my plants that do end up being female, because odds are I will at least get one.

A friend of mine wants a clone, and he gave me the idea that I should take clones, then put into 12/12, and number them so that way when I can tell a plant is what sex, I can determine which clones to keep/scrap. Also with this method I only need to take 1 branch from each, because they all have more then like 6-8 branches with continous growth, some are just leaves and I know they wont turn into plants.

EDIT: Ok so is this basically what you do Kate, kind of?

So you think then if I root my clones under 12/12 and finally able to get some more space it would be alot of more dangerous to flip to 18/60 so they can get more light. My issue is also space, I have the space its just not clear at the moment, so I have no room to shield them off from the soon to be 12/12 light cycle.

5. What are the constraints to your space? Are you trying to hide it?

Pershaps you may want to clone everything, just label properly, then you can discard of the clones you took from the males you have put into flowering. Much easier then stressing the clones from the start. I agree with Kate, low spec. lighting will keep the clones alive but they could be happier.

Good Luck things are looking very nice, I can't see any defiancies.

6. Well they did go through nutrient burn a little earlier, but I took care of that fast, pre fert soil takes SOO much longer to outgrow jesus.

And no I am not hiding it, what you see there is under my bunk bed, thats the right side, I want to pretty much do the same thing for the left side, cept' make it a flowering chamber, but actually that would end up being the new veg room though because my current would go flowering but thats besides the point.

I just have some crap there in a small book case, and I literally already have too many pieces of furniture that isnt mine in here, not to mention its actually blocking off the closet which is also a perfectly good unused area that I would like to turn into my flowering.

7. problem solved: CLEAN OUT THE CLOSET:D

8. I know I know, but theres a desk and a drawer that both are not mine blocking it, not to mention all the old clothes inside the closet thats not mine either.

Our whole house is out of whack, so for one thing to get moved into a room, I need to clear space for it, not as simple as it sounds, or else I would be in that closet and you can bet your ass lol.