I have a seed question!!!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Tempyr, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Is it easier to germinate seeds from a seedbank versus bag seeds? I'm struggling a little bit trying to get some bag seed to germ. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Why would it be easier?

Do you really believe that is air you are breathing?

3. Good seeds from a bag should be just as easy to germ. From a seedbank you presumably get relatively fresh seeds that have been stored properly and have been inspected, even if fleetingly, for obvious cracks, bad color, or other reasons to think the seed may not be viable. So, you should end up with pretty reliable seeds.

Bagseed is a broad term that includes all kinds of things, so you can't generalize about it. If the seed is black, white, or green, or if it crackles when you roll it firmly between you thumb and forefinger, then it probably isn't viable. But if it's grey or brown and no crackling from the finger-roll then it should be viable, as long as it has been stored fairly well.

4. Thanks toastybiz, I figured some of the seeds I have are viable, so do you have a absolute sure fire way to get them to pop?????

5. I think the trusted paper towel method is the best. I have a 100% success rate with my seed bank purchased seeds, and about an 80% success rate with bagseeds.

Take a paper towel and wet it. Ring it out until its not dripping, but remains wet. Fold it in half. Put the seed or seeds on the one side of the paper towel, then fold the other half on top of them. Put that into a ziplock baggie. Take a towel, and wrap it around the baggie. Put it somewhere dark, and preferably warm (Room temp will do as well, as long as its dark.

Do that, and in no more than 48 hours, you should see your seeds pop.

Good Luck.

6. I have tried this numerous times, well not wrapping it in a towel, but everything else except I put it on a heating pad. I have had very little success rate so I must have some very poor seeds or I'm doing something seriously wrong?

7. Seriously, if you are doing the method above, even with a heating pad instead of a towel, and you are also keeping them in the dark, then I would say you have bad seeds. Germinating seeds takes warm temp, humidity, and darkness. Wet paper towel sealed in a ziplock, wrapped in a towel, give the seeds everything they need to sprout. For me, it works all the time. But if another method works for you, then you go with what works.

8. Yeah I must have some bad seeds. I also didn't seal the bag, so maybe that's it. I'm trying the method you use badaxe to see if that works better for me. I believe it is very possible that I just have some rotten immature seeds. I'm still holding out hope that I will get at least one more to sprout. I'm also doing this so that I may perfect my germination technique, so that when I go spend about 300 dollars on seeds I don't fuck them up. I really appreciate your input. Hey badaxe would go check out my grow its in my sig. Thanks for all your help

9. I practiced a lot with bagseed before starting my grow with seed bank seeds. I kept germing bag seed and planting them in little jiffy pots and putting them under a cfl. As soon as I knew they would live, I just kept giving therm away to friends to do with as they please. But thats how I know the paper towel method is so reliable. I mus have germinated about 100 bag seeds and was about 80% successful. And as stated, I am 8 for 8 with seed bank seeds.

I checked your grow out. Unfortunately I can not give much advice. I grow with a HPS and I grow hydro. So those are the only 2 areas I can give advice based on experience. Any advice I give to a CFL soil grower is just stuff I have read, and I am sure you would prefer advice from actual growers that uses soil and CFL's. Keep at it, there are many successful grows like the one you got going. Good Luck. :smoke:

10. If you add heat then add only a bit, it's easy to cook seeds to death trying to warm them up too much...

11. kewl thanks for the advice