Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I have a metal rod in my chest

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by SprSonicChronic, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Ever since I was a kid I had this weird dent in the middle of my sternum. My doctor never payed much mind to it but it destroyed my self esteem. It hurt to take my shirt off and have people asking my why I have such a massive dent in my chest. Over last summer, about 8 months ago, I went to a doctor in New York City at New York Colombia Presbyterian hospital and he started me on my journey to fixing it. We learned it was called pectus excavatum. I ended up getting the surgery to fix it. Which was a brutal metal bar that forced my sternum up and fixed everything. After my surgery I couldn't walk, talk, eat, sleep, or get up on my own for about a week until I got kicked out of the hospital. Finally I got home but quickly realized I would have a problem kicking the Oxycontin habit. I would rather be in pain then become addicted to it. So I broke the addiction quick and started vaping. Small hits so no coughing. And let me tell you, it was amazing. I swear I could sleep and eat all by myself! And after the eating came the revival of my organs from this surgery. If anyone has pectus excavatum I would like to hear from you please message me or comment here.

This is a video of the surgery. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIAQF87fL_8]Pectus Excavatum Surgery - Mayo Clinic - YouTube[/ame]

2. #2 dubaba, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
    I have pectus carinatum, basically the opposite of what you have. The right side of my chest sticks out, and I can push it in really far. I dont really care about it though, never really bothered me.

3. Mines was 4 and 3/4 inches inward. If it didn't depress my heart and lungs I wouldn't have gotten the surgery

4. A very, very wise move on your part to avoid the opiate addiction that so many unsuspecting people fall into.

5. I just shed a fucking tear for that guy in the video.

6. Hey SprSonic I too suffered from Pectus Excavatum, mine was deep and affected my heart and lungs. When I was 16 I had the same procedure you had done. Having that bar in me for 3 years fucking sucked for me. It hurt a lot, it was uncomfortable laying down; also I had pinched nerve endings under the doctor's incisions that felt like getting stabbed with a hot spear all the time. Anyways I got a cool souvenir, the bar and the scars which have a strange story behind them.

PS if you want to pm me about anything else feel free. (I wish I had someone to ask these ridiculous questions to.)

7. i have pectus excavatum too and have been thinking about having the surgery, been in the back of my mind, how has the surgery changed your lives

8. I'm not gonna lie. It sucks. It hurts a lot. But my chest looks 100 percent better. I had the best results my doctor as ever seen

9. how do you feel now? and how long ago did you have the surgery

10. I have it too. I dont think its all that bad for me, I saw a doctor he said surgery is not that necessary unless I feel it is. I have recently noticed tightening of my chest, harder to breath and stuff. I too am very embarrassed by it. So my question is, do you think the surgery was worth it? Do you have serious scars from it? Also was it very expensive? Thanks.

11. I feel 100 percent better. I lift weights now and I'm going to 6 flags later this month! The surgery was in August (yes, last August). It feels good now though but I highly encourage you really think about the surgery and learn who in your area is the best professional for it. Understand the risks of it before you do it because there are chances of it being very very good or very very bad. It was worth the pain for me though. Do not smoke until at least 4 weeks after the surgery. (Trust me you won't want to).