I hate the option of divorce

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by GGrass, Jan 28, 2010.

1. The marriage. It's so damn ironic.

They make you swear,

"Till death do us part."

But then they give you the option of divorce.

If there wasn't the option of divorce, the families around the world will be so much better off.

If there was no option for divorce, if two people HAD to stay married for life, then they will live through everything. Through good times, and through bad times.

But because there's the option of divorce, a lot of people must go through living hell.

Should I stay? Should I go? What about the kids? What about the house?

Shiet...

Marriage would be so much easier if there was no option of divorce.

2. This is all I can hear now :eek:

Darling you got to let me know
    Should I stay or should I go
    If you say that you are mine
    I'll be here 'til the end of time
    So you got to let me know
    Should I stay or should I go

It's always tease, tease, tease
    You're happy when I'm on my knees
    One day is fine, the next is black
    So if you want me off your back
    Well come on and let me know
    Should I Stay or should I go

I agree with you on the hypocrisy of marriage / divorce.

3. Sounds like a country (music)... is it?

4. #4 philan, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
    Its the clash, not my cup of tea but the lyrics fit :/

5. As a child of divorce, I'd say that I prefer my parents divorced over my parents stuck in an unloving marriage. Wait and see if the spark comes back. If it does, great. If not, it's gone and it's time to move on.

6. I was just 15 when my parents divorced. But the constant arguments began when I was 13. Life after the divorce was still sad, but some of the anger left the house, making it somewhat bearable to go back home.

7. #7 .....CAM....., Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
    My parents split up when I was 5. They weren't married though. If there was no option for divorce, that would be as effective as prohibition. I understand that marriage could be exciting but really in the end it means nothing and the divorce rate shows that many people don't take it for what it is but are simply enchanted by the all the ideas around it. Marriage is blown up into something grand. Marriage is not grand. If the grandness were in marriage, there would be no divorces. Grand is that which they must manifest in order to fulfill "til death do us part." Grand is that relationship. Then I can't help but see marriage as a celebration of that. I guess partying is pretty damned grand though.

EDIT: Oh, that's hilarious.

8. I just think that people don't take marriage as importantly as we used to. Removing the option of a divorce won't improve anything, people just need to be more careful and intelligent about their choices regarding getting married in the first place.

9. I disagree fully. What about husbands who beat their wives or children? Men who molest their kids? A parent with an addiction that is obviously detrimental to the kid's upbringing?

Sure, they might go to prison. But then eventually they'll come out, and still be married to the person who put them there?

I know I'm talking extreme cases here, but my point is, that in certain cases divorce really is the best option for everyone involved.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of marriage. To me, it's nothing more than a legal document. People change. Circumstances change. None of us know who we'll be or what we'll want ten years from now, nevermind twenty, thirty or forty years from now.

If I love someone, and they love me, that's good enough. I don't need a piece of paper to legitimize our relationship.

10. I strongly disagree. If two adults make an agreement and then agree to dissolve the first agreement, then what the hell is the problem? If you think breaking a "promise" is the problem, then why not do away with the promise itself? To some, marriage is more than a contract. To all, marriage is a contract. Anything else people want to tie into that contract is their own business/concern/problem.

I was a child of divorce and frankly I think I was better off growing up without those heated arguments and shouting matches. They were certainly worse than all those problems the divorce created subsequently. If you want me to concede that people should take entering into a contract or starting a family seriously, then hey, I have zero qualms with doing that. But saying divorce should be prohibited? That's crazy.

11. [​IMG]

The alternatives to divorce are....

12. If divorce wasn't an option for me in my first marriage, I woulda had to kill him...seriously. :wave:

13. people will always need a way out.

Although I will agree that when the divorce rate is over 50%, people need to really look at the person they are about to marry and say "Am I going to be happy with this person, forever?"

14. Well my parents got divorced because my mom was pill popping alcoholic who was going to endanger the lives my and my sibling. Plus she wasted money on purpose and put my family in a tramendous debt.

shit got better after the divorce, she improved her act and is pretty alright.

so divorce isn't that bad, some people just aren't ment to live together, they get at eachothers throats and a negative outcome can occur if they can't hold back their rage.

(There were a lot of holes in the wall in my house, those holes were ment for someone else)

15. Hahahaha lets ask Anne Boleyn.

16. That's why guns are so easy to get in the USA.

And cheaper than divorce lawyers, too.;)

17. Forever is a very long time... you're marrying the person as they are at that time (and, you are marrying them from where you are at the time, also). Both parties are going to evolve and change, at least somewhat, as humans naturally do.

If the relationship is strong, without abuse, and has the most crucial element of honest, wide-open communication, then it's much more likely to weather and/or incorporate changes, deepen bonds through shared experience, allow both parties the freedom to grow without fear of losing love and security.

Imo if these factors are missing and can't be reconciled, then I agree there should definitely be a choice to opt out (and there is).

18. I think some reasons marriage doesnt work is we are far more fickle then generations of the past. We get bored, think the grass is greener on the otherside, ect. Also people are idiots and rush into it making poor disecions on what partner they choose (but hey you can get divorced in a couple years so its not that big of a deal eh?, so yea its like you go into the arrangment knowing as soon as it gets rough we can just pick up and leave) and finaly i think people are selfish. They may love others but ultimately put their happiness infront of other peoples. Whn both spouses do this it will deff not work, no comprimising. If both spouses put the other infront of them then they both are getting took care of.

19. marriage is an industry. all companies love repeat customers.

20. You know what gets me is prenuptual (sp?) agreements. I understand wanting to protect your assets, but to me, an agreement like that says that you're not so sure it's going to work out anyways. So, why bother getting married, then? :confused: