I Guano Ask A Question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Tommygirl, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Can you use guano in a hydro set up if it's the type that will disolve in water?

2. I don't see why not, does it say for hydroponic use. That would be the definitive answer. Also, I believe that if you use a bubbler method it really souldn't matter as long as its soluble. I use blood meal thats made for soil by creating a tea from it, as a booster to my other nutrients.

3. Yup, though you might not be so successful if you use a dripper system; the larger particles could clog that.

If I were using it for hydro, I'd probably keep an air-line in the tank, keep it agitated and aereated. Add molasses for a guano microbe boost.

-mu

4. The only question i would have and have no idea of the answer is the strength. If you brewed a tea add to the water if you steeped the 3 days as oposed to 2 would the tea be stronger? I use soil so its not an issue for me.. Hydro everything has to be so exact.

5. I would be using it with an E&F system, so I don't think I would need to worry about it clogging anything. I think the 1/2 inch lines would handle the particles.

What I'm really looking for is something that's totally organic that I can use in both hydro and soil. Any suggestions, or do you think the guano is a good way to go?

6. Well i love guano in soil. I use mexican bat for veg and indo for flower. Worm castings are also good. I eventually want to do an organic bubble system but have yet to find a good organic DIY hydro formula. If you find one let me know. I also us liquid kelp and molasses.

7. Urine, nettle brews, comfrey liquid, any compost tea, wormcast tea, guano tea, seaweed extract, loads of stuff, I would think. It depends on the stage of the grow. Some stuff is great for veg, but not so good for flowering. Also, different guanos are useful at different times.

Rather than stress the plants from switching solutions, perhaps keeping the tank alive, and just gradually moving the concentrations around over the course of the grow is the way to go. The base would be compost tea for veg, wormcast tea for flowering, or something like that.

I plan to do a bit of biogenic hydro myself in the future, so this stuff is simmering in the back of my mind. The tricky part may be getting some good cultures started, and keeping them there. Molasses will be useful. Maybe the foam from aquarium filters would also be useful. Fungi would be difficult to keep around, too.

Keep us posted.

As for strength, Dan42nepa, most organic feeds have a slower period of release than chemical feeds. Guano tea, for instance, provides instant nutrition, but also breaks down and provides nutrients for weeks afterwards. Following the recommendations (10-25g per liter, or whatever) would be a fine baseline, and it's not too difficult to see when you are out of whack with the feeding, add a spoon more or less.

There will be lots of trial and error, no doubt, but the person that can provide a foolproof deep organic (no bottles) hydroponic feeding schedule will be doing the cannabis growing community a great service.

-mu

8. i may try it in a few weeks with an extra clone.. just for the hell of it.. if it dies it dies.

9. Well, I think what I'm going to do is go with a four tier guano.

Peruvian Seabird 10-10-2
    Mexican Bat 10-2-1

Jamaican Bat 1-10-0.2
    Indonesian Bat 0.5-12-0.2

Using them in different combos for the different growth cycles, and I'll suppliment them with Tarantula for solid root cultures, molassas, and sea kelp. I'll also use the sea kelp as a foliar spray.

That will be 100% organic, if I'm not mistaken, and I'll let y'all know how it goes. M'kay?

If it turns out to suck ass then I'll get Fox Farm's stuff. :devious:

10. Sounds great, guys!

If you start any threads/journals about it, leave a note here, cuz I'll probably miss it otherwise!

-mu

11. you might want to check out some organic hydro vegetable sites.. Thats what I was planning on doing to get a base idea and maybe tweak it a little from there.

12. I'll do that. I bet a lot of other people would be interested as well. I know I would be. :D

That's a good idea. I'll do that right now.