i found a seed

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by firefromabove, Nov 11, 2007.

1. in a big bud i bought and i was wondering if it would grow or if the drying process makes it sterile. thanks for the help.:hello:

2. Guess what? YOU can tell US if it will grow by trying it. The drying process in and of itself does not kill seeds.

3. Bag-seed is usually still able to grow. If it comes from a bud with little seeds / good quality, i would say it has good genetic potential (unless it got a seed from pollinating itself, in that case Hermie). also, try and hypothesize (by smoking) if it is indica(stony couch) or sativa(uppity active) or a mix (uppity couch active stone?). knowing the species is pretty clutch to recognizing good or bad plant growth. but usually species can be assumed pretty accurately after a month or two (or less).

but remember one seed does not mean you have a female plant.
    But hopefully! :smoke:

(i have 2 bag-seed sprouts right now! best of luck!)

4. When you soak it for 24 hrs. and it sinks that is a good sign.if its dark and or has tiger like stripes that also is a good sign.After the soak if you use the paper towel method you will prolly see the sprout tail if the two other things i said earlyer are true.What you want to do is grow it like its the last seed on earth and display all your hard work here,when you end up with some dank nugs,we will be very happy for all your hard work,you know so that last seed on earth was well taken care of and all:DI just noticed this was my special post #420 so its your lucky seed as well,show us please.

5. it is from a indica strain for sure and it is damn good weed. i think i will try to grow it in a cup on my desk for a while but i dont know where i will be able to put it if it gets big. i still live with my parents (19 and working)and my dad would know it right off the bat if he saw it. maybe i could plant it in a field somewhere. do they stand up well to transplanting?

ps. will post picks of the seed in a little while.

thanks again for all your help.

6. In that case it's easy -- proper MJ etiquette and good karma dictates that you don't grow in your parents' house. You could put them and/or their house at legal risk.

7. Ocitown, it means nothing if a seed has stripes or spots or lacks them. Brown or grey seeds, with or without spots or stripes, are most likely to be viable. A seed that is green, white, black, or crackles when rolled between your fingers most likely is not viable.

I have also found that seeds that do not sink from the soak method sometimes sprout, so I don't consider that a "test" of a seed's viability. Soaking for 24 hours allows the seed to soak up a lot of water and get going with germination.

8. I was speaking in terms of generalities and mostly to encourage the youngin unlike some,my info has ment something to me and i felt compelled to share it.You may not feel the same but its ok man,thats what makes us dif. from one another.Thanx for your insite, a flooting seed will sometimes sprout and a black seed will also sometimes sprout.We speak in general terms here which helps to keep this type of info from becoming more confusing.As a noob i try to watch what i say and will be even more carful in the future.:wave:

9. yeah your right. i dont really need to start growing yet. it can wait till i move out.

10. Your a very wise man indeed,but you can read till your hearts content!:D

11. When a known female is forced to turn hermie then pollinates itself, that is what we call a feminized seed...

12. fantastic advice. i couldn't have put it better myself.

+rep to you for listening to his advice. it always bothers me to see kids thinking that it's ok to grow in their parents place, and for some reason to believe that they can get away with it. karma will indeed repay your patience with some beautiful harvests in the not-so-distant future.