I forgot I had a credit card

Discussion in 'General' started by Omega369, Jan 22, 2014.

1. I cut up my credit card a couple years back and moved from my apartment, then totally forgot about my balance of $1000 on it,  I wasn't getting any credit card payment reminders through mail because I moved.  Stupid me forgot about it and didn't pay it for for like 1.5 years.  I got a call at my home phone (where I moved back into) and it was a guy from the bank saying I need to pay off minimum $230 the next week, so I did.  The same day I got an envelope with something saying to cut up my card and mail it back in, so I did.

What's the worst that can happen to me in the long run with credit rating approvals etc?

2. Shitty credit

3. Damn homie... ask to do a lump settlement whats the minimum they would accept to forgive the debt...sent from underneath my balls

4. damn that sucks. i don't know what you can do about it just try to reason with them and come to an agreement.

5. just a couple of thousand

pay it and learn your lesson

Wouldn't put negative effects on his credit score as well?

I feel bad for OP

yea but it's still only a couple of thousand, if he has been making mortgage and car payments i think those weigh more in the calculation

8. Credit get's hurt.  Hell, I'm 20k in CC debt, and my credit is shit, like, absolute shit.  All due to my ex

9. I don't get it, what card did you cut up and mail back to them if you already cut up your credit card 1.5yrs ago?

10. They could send it to a collection agency, at which point it's a major pain in the ass.What could happen at that point is pretty straight forward with a lot of running around. You have to call the firm handling the collection and ask for a payoff/reinstatement figure, they'll go back to the credit card company for the figures (including the firms fees) and come back to you about three weeks later at the latest with the amount. Then you just follow the directions to bring yourself current. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to pm me. I work in the field at a foreclosure/collections law firm. Sent from my SGH-T889 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #11 cball, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014

it will go on your credit as paid in full...raising your score. the negatives from not paying have already been subtracted...

the bank made on offer and you accepted the terms...the account is paid in full now.

12. You're good

Sent from my LG-P659 using Grasscity Forum mobile app