I dont like being referred to as a Christian

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by hermione420, Dec 10, 2013.

1. I wouldn't call myself religious (there was a time in which I would). I'm a science literate person and don't really believe in much of anything besides fact. However I do feel that Jesus Christ's principles would be essential to achieve a "peaceful" world. Everyone loving everyone and treating all fair and nice is ideal but I find it hopeless to expect equality among all people because humans are often idiotic and self centered and as long as that continues, so will oppression. I guess I'm a Christian in a way because I think Christ's teachings can resolve a lot of problems within humanity, probably most of them.But I don't really think about "God" nor am I superstitious with religion or rituals such as prayer.

2. Simply believing Jesus was a good moral teacher doesn't make you a Christian. Many atheist thinkers admired Jesus' teachings, albeit with certain reservations. Hell, even Nietzsche gave Christ respect--called him the Last Christian.

3. I think Jesus was a very hip dude, whether he is real or just a literary figure.  I think there are a few things he said that are quite fucked up, like putting god/faith before your family, etc.. but on a whole most of what he supposedly taught was very enlightening and good for the world.  Sadly, after several thousand years most of his followers still haven't figured out how to emulate him.  Personally, I feel that there are other "teachers" that deserve the same respect, if not more, than Jesus but because of the absolute authority of religion they get overshadowed in the west by the Jesus narrative.