Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I cough a lot when I smoke

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Slaver, Sep 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. I've been smoking everyday (medical grade) marijuana from my dispensary and other sources for about 4 or so years now and since the very beginning, I cough more than other people I know.

It's true I likely have MS or something, as I have horribly acute fibromyalgia and chronic prostate and IBS issues. Yet, even before the maturing of my many life annoyances, this seems to have been present. I remember my first time hitting a bong and I was coughing in the bathroom sink for like... idk an hour. Of course I hit it wrong like a total knob, but still -- it's hardly changed much. I sometimes, on my first hit of the day, can cough and spit up mucus for upward of 6 minutes. It's really irritating and causing me tension migraines, prostate irritating, and really sharp gas that stirs up my hernia and nerve pain.

To be fair, Marijuana is not great for nerve pain and fibromyalgia. CBD may be but I know THC intensifies many of the sharp and electric sensations for people. However, it's such an effective tool for IBS and stomach pain/migraines that I cannot stand to live without it. It's also an incredibly effective tool for creativity since I spend most of my days writing and thinking about writing. However, it is incredibly bad for the actual activity of writing, since depressive and darker moods always work better to tease out our grim selves on the page.

If there is some way to avoid this, I'd love to know. I guess it's possible it's just certain people. I could stand to take smaller bong hits, I imagine. Besides that, does anyone else experience this? Am I really just milking the hits too much? I use a medium size bong; a bit taller than a carton of milk but the mouthpiece and tube are quite narrow and you can easily fit your entire hand around them. I have noticed smoking from bongs with way thicker mouth pieces have also caused me much less choke-type coughing. They sometimes tickle my chest more but that's much less intense and the coughing feels less productive like I'm trying to cough up a lung. It's also much shorter, but I've never personally owned a bong like that.

Any thoughts?

2. make edibles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Try having a smaller cone (bowl) or smoke joints or try vaping your bud

4. I can't do bong rips or out of a pipe joints only for me

5. BNW Hashcaps will keep ya on cloud 9 for hours

6. Less is more in this case in regards to huge hits. Try either a mint or candy lozenge just before you start. They can help with irritation. A tabletop vaporizer would probably help too.

7. That's funny, I once had a halls menthol cough drop which really helped, yeah. It just seems to be a tickle and lots of mucus that causes the coughing. It's like once I start, it's just downhill from there coughing-wise. But yeah I definitely need to work on taking smaller hits.
    Super interested

8. You should ask a doctor you really think you will get the best info here?
    There are also a lot of services online to ask doctors for like 10-20$ if you are really concerned

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Just smoke less at a time or something or do edibles that you do not have to smoke.

10. Can you put ice in your rig? That works great OR
    try Manuka Honey lozenges after you've finished smoking. It soothes the throat. I use it and they're perfect. I find mine in the Winners checkout line or health food stores.

11. Ice helps a lot. Sometimes I leave my bong in my mini fridge too which helps.

12. Suppositories

13. if you get a resiny hit then you choke up then yea its cuz the smoke got so condensed and stale. And maybe ur coughing with smoke still in ur lungs.