I can't get rid of fungus gnats!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by brimg96420, Jan 17, 2017.

1. I've done everything. I've let the soil dry out, I've changed soil and switched the pots, I've put fans on my plants, I've done natural pesticides and I've bought pesticides.
    They seemed like they were gone (finally) and then after I watered my plants they showed their stupid faces again.
    Some advice would be great! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Apple cider vinegar traps. Look up how to make your own. Just leave one on top of every pot.

Sounds to me like they will always be a problem for you just try n keep their numbers down.

3. #3 Upinsmoke420365, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    May be managed by placing a layer of sterile sand or indoor mulch on top of the soil ‎around plants which is free of organic matter and dries out quickly quoted from 22 How to Get Rid of Fungus Gnats Fast. Top sand drys out quick, then no more gnats. Been running 50/50 organic soil/ coarse sand, no problems with any bugs.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have some of those traps by the plants but they don't seem to fly into the traps... they just hang around the soil. A couple get trapped but that seems about it. Those traps are good for normal fruit flies flying around the house lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. What kind of sand do you use? Im having a HUGE gnat problem as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

6. #6 Upinsmoke420365, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Last grow I had a decent gnat problem. I bought 3 percent hydrogen peroxide from Walmart, put it in a spray bottle, then every time the top soil dried up I applied until the soil was damp. Gnats gone in a few applications. To note most gnat problems come from the soil being to moist, basically over watering causes it, if you stop that they will not come back.

7. I use "GoGnat" about every other watering in veg, and the first 2-3 waterings of flower. I just follow the directions on the bottle. The key is to remember the eggs can survive weeks, so even if you think you killed all the flyers keep treating your soil. Yellow sticky traps will destroy the flyers pretty quick, but you shouldn't be as concerned about those, it's the larva that will kill our plants.

I personally don't like sand because it's heavy and messy. I find just putting a layer of Perlite on top looks nicer, and not as messy. Good luck

8. I grow in coco so my medium is always wet and I occasionally have fungus gnats. I hang some yellow stickies and use BTI - specifically Gnatrol, in my nute solution - 3 times in 5 day intervals. Works everytime.

9. Im having the same issue. Everytime i think they are gone... Bam theyre back again. Luckliy i have a harvest coming tomorrow and my vegging plants are not ready. Im going to do some serious damage to those fuckers.

Neem oil
    Insect soap
    Mosquito bits
    Going to let my pots completly dry out

10. Theres no way for adults to fly with a fan on ....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

11. If you've tried all that I guess I'll list a way that will most likely get rid of every single larvae/egg immediately... But it's not for organic growers..

Mist plant lightly with (1/2 tablespoon? Google it) of 3% hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water.

Wait for soil to dry out very well then water with 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with 4 parts water.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pistils I used peroxide on my last organic grow without ill effects.

13. Yeah, I believe that, depends on what's all in the soil, just don't want someone reading it in the future and blaming me for any problems..a disclaimer of sorts lol. I've done it a few times and it has always been 100% successful at getting rid of all of the gnats and didn't cause problems at all from what I could tell.

• Like Like x 1