Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I call bullshit on coughing up tar.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by jizzledfreq, Nov 4, 2012.

1. I hear these stories about people coughing up black tar after they quit smoking tobacco or cigarettes. Every time I've quit either, nothing like that had ever happened, and I used to be a heavy smoker. I'm not exactly the healthiest person either. What gives :confused_2: I've had some huge coughing spells too, and coughed out nothing but clear mucous.

2. I wonder how the lungs of a marijuana smoker physically looks compared to the lungs of a cigarette smoker. We've all seen the black cig lungs, is it the same for cannabis?

3. I cough up black stuff a few times a day, and I'm pretty sure it's tar.

4. Why? I dont doubt them

5. #5 9D3, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
    I call bullshit on you not coughing up tar, because sometimes I cough up dark gray stuff. HA!

That's pretty much the basis of your argument. Why would someone lie about the colour of their phlegm?

edit: I guess that was kinda rude. My actual input on this thread after a little thought:

Maybe it has to do with exhaling through the nose? I've noticed that sometimes I'll have gray chunks in my phlegm for a week, and then won't see it again for months. Or it'll happen for a few weeks straight.

Either way, it certainly does happen

6. so you're saying you want to cough up black tar?

:laughing:

7. I smoked normal cigarettes for ten years and when I quit, I did cough a LOT at first. I didn't cough up black tar but instead just a shitton of flem like I had just gotten over a nasty chest cold. It didn't last Al that long... a few weeks maybe at most.

8. my sister did an autopsy on this old man that had been a non smoker but was a marijuana user, my sister said that over all lungs looked good exept for the was some small black spots on the lungs, but nothing too big

9. [quote name='"davidtokehead"']
    my sister did an autopsy on this old man that had been a non smoker but was a marijuana user, my sister said that over all lungs looked good exept for the was some small black spots on the lungs, but nothing too big[/quote]

Very interesting, I would love to see more research on this. Thanks!

10. No I'm just saying I've never in my life as a smoker, smoking both tobacco and marijuana quite heavily, I hold my hits in when I can, not so much with tobacco, and I've NEVER coughed up anything black, hell I've never coughed up anything.

11. Ever seen a clogged stem?

Your lungs look the same.

Don't think because you smoke 'weed' your lungs are magically clear of tar.

12. Well I'm not sure on the technicalities of how tar effects lungs. But if its cancer causing wouldn't that show up in research? Remember, "Not one death has been directly caused by cannabis use."

13. I've smoked weed for a longggg time, and it's never happened to me. I don't smoke cigarettes so i don't know about that though.

14. Your taking it out of context. I never said I didn't have tar in my lungs, I'm just saying, I've never coughed up a big black wad of anything, EVER.

15. [quote name='"Tree Of Life"']I cough up black stuff a few times a day, and I'm pretty sure it's tar.[/quote]

um, have you thought about seeing a doctor?

16. That's weird, I'm a very healthy person and even smoking a blunt will have me hacking up brown shit two days later

17. My buddy at work smokes cigarettes like it's his job, and lots of blunts too. He says he coughs up black flecks of shit along with phlegm all the time, once he said he coughed up a round chunk of it that was like 1/3 the size of a marble.

18. you can have dark spots in you're mucus. it's just dense snot your unclogging not tar lol

19. Marijuana is a natural expectant and will as such remove the tar from wacky tobaccy from your lungs.

20. See that shit in your pipe and bongs? That gets in your lungs bro. Weed isn't magical.