I am tired of this shit ...

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Sonnenschein, Jan 22, 2012.

1. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxNEiZhpinY]Eric Burdon - The Animals - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place - YouTube[/ame]

I am getting tired of this shit. I can deal with myself being unemployable thanks to being a freaking cripple. Things were fine, between Rob's retirement income from the Navy, and his job we were paying the mortgage and our bills, and had a little left over for some fun now and then. 5 years until it wsa totally paid off. He just got laid off. Fucking jackasses who bought into the whole get a mortgage bigger than you can afford get a fucking bailout and can renegotiate their mortgages, and get all sorts of help. We have been steadily paying our bills, we bought the farm and it was well under what we could afford on 2 salaries, let alone a single one. [we wanted to make sure we could afford it if I lost my job, as it takes really fucking up to get booted out of the Navy] and now it is all in jeopardy because of the shittastic job market here in Ct. We can't get a break, they will not consider redefining the damn mortgage. If he had a job, we could refinance. Gee, fucking thanks.

There is a seagoing tug boat for sale at a DRMO auction for an amount we can afford. I just want to buy the damned thing, clear all our stuff from the farm and tell the bank to fuck off and die, and set sail [well diesel actually] for somewhere warm and friendly. Registering the vessel out of Delaware would cost us about $125 a year. He can maintain pretty much everything on that type of vessel. He qualifies for ships master with about $2500 worth of classes at a marine academy. I can manage navigation and communications, for about another $2500 in classes.

*sigh* I am fucking tired of this economy, or lack thereof. Chucking it all is sounding pretty fucking good right now.

2. take it to florida and swap it for one of those giant sailboats

3. I am not physically able to help hubby run a sailboat, where I can help run a powered boat. We unfortunately would still need to find at least 2 more crewmembers, 3 would be better. We need someone in the engine room, one as navigator/communications and one 'steering' and having a bosunsmate on deck for line handling, or other functions would make it all run smoother. It normally was using a combined crew of 10 people when it was being operated by the army.
    Now isn't this just festive looking?
    [​IMG]

:hello:

Her name is USS Valley Forge, and until they decommissioned her, she was the oldest still operating tug in the US fleet. :D

4. Me and the wife are about to do the same although we are thinking about just going into the deep woods where no one can find us.

5. Nice thing about a boat is the ability to move to an area with better weather =)

Well, I also love swimming and scuba diving [I do water physio normally] and fishing while underwater is a blast! When I got my open water 1 and 2 back in the late 80s in Norfolk VA, we saw all sorts of interesting [and tasty] fish off one of the Bay Bridge Tunnel support islands.

Hubby decided that we need a short decompression vacation so we are taking a few hundred bucks and making a trip to go and look at the Valley Forge. He is trying to figure a way to afford to buy her, then a place to moor her until May 1 when the marina at the sub base here in CT opens. *sigh* Though I would love to just load everything we own into her and a storage locker and leave for someplace warm. It would beinteresting if Rob could trade auxilliaryman skills for mooring at harbors along the coast in florida/texas over the winter.

6. I vote for sail boat too. A sailboat is not hard to run at all. 2 could easly do it. I have a 27footer that's my dads but he lets me use it. I can easly single hand that. But you would probably get a nice 45 50 footer for a tug boat. If you are single handed at the helm you can just run the main sail and you really don't have to do anything. And it sounds like you dont have a lot of money. Well guess what cost a boat load of money!! you guessed it. Fuel. I bet you pay a fortune to fuel up a powerful sea going tug! with a sailboat you need just enough to get out of port and maybe run the generator on a cloudy day if the solars didnt create enough energy. And a sail boat is a lot more fun! your one with nature just flowing along with the wind. Its a lot more fun then just sitting there steering a boat you actually have to read all the signs of the water and clouds. Also its queit you won't have to listen to a noisy diesel 24/7 all you hear on a sailboat is the wind in the water and there is nothing like it! hah just my 2 cents

7. think im going look into boat building.

and jimi wails....
    And I chop it down with the edge of my hand
    Well, I pick up all the pieces and make an island
    Might even raise a little sand