Hygrozyme in organic soil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by randomseed, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Random, this might have been a brain fart of sorts. What I was attempting to imply is that not all sources of "organic" are in fact safe esp if used in large amounts. Hell, maybe I should just apologize and bail out now but I've laid my johnson out so let me try to connect a couple of dots. let's just take N for example.

Plants take up N in several forms. Some of these include nitrate-N (NO3-N), ammonium-N (NH4-N), and urea (CO[NH2]2). Other forms of N must be transformed to one of these forms before plants can utilize the N. i,e, nitrification by soil microbes. Let's look at some common sources for forms of N (I did an assimilation and cut-n-paste here); Anhydrous Ammonia, Ammonium Nitrate-Sulfate, Ammonium Nitrate/Lime, Ammonium Monoammonium Phosphate (MAP), Sulfate Diammonium Phosphate (DAP), Ammonium Chloride Sodium, Nitrate Potassium, Nitrate Calcium, Nitrate Sulfur-coated Urea, Urea-formaldehydes, and a few others. Understanding the relative toxcicty to humans (or rats in the case of MSDS data) one might get an idea that a certain nutrient producer's source of N may be toxic if ingested in large amounts, or in the case of plants and soil microbes, poisoning might occur if applied to liberally, i.e. "nute burn".

What I was attempting to point out is that some of the bottled ingredients can have an adverse and undesireable effect regardless of their claim to 'organics'. The fertilizer label laws are very specific regarding claiming what is in the mix and that which is printed on the label is the minimum guaranteed amount. What the label does not tell us is ALL of the other ingredients that might be in the mix but the manufacturer/distributor is NOT claiming benefit of. Does that make sense? In other words if I were forced by gunpoint to ingest EITHER 3 ozs of ammonium nitrate versus 3 ozs of seabird guano, I personally would ingest the guano over the nitrate. The guano is water insoluble and thus slow reacting whereas the ammonium nitrate is water soluble and fast acting (i.e. nute burn... perhaps).

We must always read the label and understand what it is the manufacturer is claiming to be the minimum guaranteed analysis and how those components are made up.

Damn..... I really got into the weeds....

2. #22 jakrustle, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2010
    random, I will put this out there, but I ain't laying my johnson out there like Possum, though!

LD has recommended these guys in the past. I do not know for sure that these are one of the guys he would recommend. Depending on where you are at, there is also Concentrates, in Oregon. I got some of the granules from Mycorrhizal Products. I drop a little in the holes right before planting my cracked seeds and when I transplant to my 2.4 gallon Air Pots.

Mycorrhizal Products - Our Company

JaK

3. Ive been using the Great White product for quite a while but will definitly be more resourcefull with my ingredient sourcing in the future.

4. #24 dvs1, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
    When I do this,it is carbonated to the point if I shake it before opening(to mix)it acts like soda pop,all over.Will using the Malted Barley help with that,if not,what is used in Hygrozyme to prevent this?

I know this is an old post,but I have bookmarked it so after I tried it and had any ?'s I would know where to go.

5. I've never used Hygrozyme, but a quick check of their website says that the product is 'Bacteria Free', which I assume to mean they have sterilized it. You won't be able to 'extend' it.
    What you have now is essentially a molasses moonshine.

6. O.K.,now I am confused.

I know enzymes are proteins that will speed the process of chemical reactions,but if this is sterile how would Lumperdawgz exercise make any sense.

Basically I am happy with the results I am getting with this product,but if I can recreate it for a fraction of the cost,I will be happy.

7. Im pretty interested in this , so can we infact extend Hygrozyme like LD said or not? Im under the impression you can ..:confused:

8. I'm not sure if LD knew it was sterilized or maybe he knows more than what I can decipher from reading their website. IDK, can't really talk for him. . . .

This is a quote from hygro's website.

Hygrozyme sounds exactly like an EM-1 type fermentation that has been sterilized. If you want to be able to extend your own enzymatic fermentations, replace EM-1 for Hygrozyme. But be aware it will probably act a little different in certain situations. I tried to use diluted EM for cloning and it digested the stem.

The reason your current 'extended' brew is fermenting and producing co2 is because it contains naturally occurring yeast that are 'eating' the molasses and 'pooping' co2 and alcohol. (Naturally occurring yeast as in very small amounts of yeast (and probably random bacteria) that contaminated your brew when you had mixed it up, opened the jar of molasses, the bottle of hygrozyme, etc...) I, personally, wouldn't not use an overly carbonated ferment, especially one that smells of alcohol.

Properly fermenting EM can be a little more in-depth than people think. In my experience, keeping the ferment around body temperature is important to allow the bacteria to multiply faster than the yeast. Also, checking for pH is imperative to test for doneness. EM bacteria, when working properly, will lower the pH of the liquid to a level where bad microbes can't survive. I bet if you pH your co2 brew, it won't be at 3.7 pH or below. That means it is not a lactic acid ferment, and it is a yeast ferment.