Hydroponic Set Up

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by davidn420, May 18, 2012.

1. Those lights really are not worth using.

You could purchase the rest of the stuff yourself. Nothing special about any of it.

Search the threads for "good hydro kit" or something like that and find what others have had success with.

I use bubble buckets for my veg. and I think there are some good kit of those on ebay. I just put mine together from local stuff. Free buckets from Walmart, etc.

2. I agree with marsdude...those lights look kinda crappy. I recommend just building a bubble bucket and using the lucas formula for beginner hydro.

3. Thanks for the info before I wasted my money guys! Ill just use fluorescents until flowering. By that time i should be able to get an HPS for flower. And also. Is hydro easy or should I do soil first? Well not easy but suitable for a beginner

4. I started with hydro so if I could do it you surely can! :D

I have never grown in soil but I have heard there are advantages to doing so. Hydro usually will give you bud faster and liquid nutes can be easier to deal with than soil in some situations, like an apartment.

I a six tube t5 fluorescent for veg, mainly because I had it when I began to grow and it works fine for me. I do not veg long.

Let me say this though, if you are going to veg and flower in the same space, the cheapest thing to do, in the long run, would to get a HPS light from the beginning with a dual ballast. If you can afford it go for a digital ballast.

If you are located in a Medical MJ state you can find TONS of used stuff on CL.

5. [quote name='"Marsdude"']I started with hydro so if I could do it you surely can! :D

I have never grown in soil but I have heard there are advantages to doing so. Hydro usually will give you bud faster and liquid nutes can be easier to deal with than soil in some situations, like an apartment.

I a six tube t5 fluorescent for veg, mainly because I had it when I began to grow and it works fine for me. I do not veg long.

Let me say this though, if you are going to veg and flower in the same space, the cheapest thing to do, in the long run, would to get a HPS light from the beginning with a dual ballast. If you can afford it go for a digital ballast.

If you are located in a Medical MJ state you can find TONS of used stuff on CL.[/quote]

Sadly I'm in NY so no mmj. But, I have a basement that is finished and has 5 sections separated by walls & doors do they will be done in different rooms cuz I plan on having about 2 plants start every 2 weeks until I have too much lol. It's all personal so. But I have friends and a cousin who have grown and my friends dad owns a hardware store so I should be pretty low on cost the only high price will really be the hps. But idk I think I will experiment. Have 2 hydro and one in soil and see which I prefer. Thanks for you're help :)

6. Good luck on your grow. I would be glad to help any way I can. There are also a lot of good grow guides on here by folks who know way more than I do.

7. [quote name='"Marsdude"']Good luck on your grow. I would be glad to help any way I can. There are also a lot of good grow guides on here by folks who know way more than I do.[/quote]

Yeah I read through grow guides and talked to people I know for advise I'm gonna keep reading up on them through the whole process and learn from others mistakes.

And thanks I'll let you know if I need any advise

8. Hey David! I've been an Ebb/Flow fan for many years and more recently started down the simplest of keeping it simple paths, the Lucas formula (and various other ideas of his). Couple of links to maybe help...

I just built an ebb/flow system for my veg room and made a DIY of the process (link in my sig) If you made this and want to make it bigger later, you could reuse several of the parts.

Another link in the sig, I spent a weekend gleaning Lucasisms from the Ask Lucas thread (another forum) and created a site that has them categorized by various aspects of gardening, with an emphasis on hydroponics (ebb/flow and dwc).

And if DWC seems more to your liking, Rumpleforeskin has a top notch DIY on how to build a bucket: http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-*step-step*.html

You're also welcome to come tag along in my journal and ask all the questions you can muster along the way! :)

9. [quote name='"CasualObserver"']Hey David! I've been an Ebb/Flow fan for many years and more recently started down the simplest of keeping it simple paths, the Lucas formula (and various other ideas of his). Couple of links to maybe help...

I just built an ebb/flow system for my veg room and made a DIY of the process (link in my sig) If you made this and want to make it bigger later, you could reuse several of the parts.

Another link in the sig, I spent a weekend gleaning Lucasisms from the Ask Lucas thread (another forum) and created a site that has them categorized by various aspects of gardening, with an emphasis on hydroponics (ebb/flow and dwc).

And if DWC seems more to your liking, Rumpleforeskin has a top notch DIY on how to build a bucket: http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-%2Astep-step%2A.html

You're also welcome to come tag along in my journal and ask all the questions you can muster along the way! :)[/quote]

Thanks a lot :)

10. Yeah, I concur with all the other good posters who got here first. Two of those lights at 13 watts each, very doubtful. Last spec I saw (out of my grow store catalog) was that LED's will put out about 50-60 lumens per watt; that's 1560 lumens for those two lights.
    Compare that to a 400W HPS putting out 50,000 lumens; HUGE difference.
    More lumens = more weed; more watts usually means more lumens.
    Keep shopping and you'll find some great deals for HPS.
    I'm all in with CO when it comes to ebb/flow; simple, efficient, works GREAT.
    Bubble buckets - that's what was in your ad, they work pretty well too.
    Best of luck with your endeavors.

11. Old School.

What part of CO you around?

12. Not CO, Great Lakes (middle coast)

13. Sorry, I don't know why I though you were in CO. :confused:

14. [quote name='"Marsdude"']

Sorry, I don't know why I though you were in CO. :confused:[/quote]

I think CO stood for casual observers name not colorado

15. Thanks for bailing me out on that, totally missed the connection. And I wasn't even smokin' tonight.....