Hydro Vrs. Aero: Facts please, experienced growers only.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Cali_Quick, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Okay, I am strictly looking for the facts here are there any scientifically or agriculturally proven facts that one is better than the other?

I have my 215 prescription in California and have already completed a successful soil grow and I am looking at some serious self watering systems, I currently have a hydro system and I have to say I am very impressed with hydro vrs. soil, however I am also looking into aeroponics and I have a close friend who is starting and making his own aeroponics units so my question to you, my fellow blades is that before I dedicate myself completley to hydroplonics are there any pros and cons for each?

Thanks in advance,

Cali_Quick.

2. Okay, i know a lot of novice growers use this forum, but are there no experienced growers left on grasscity?

- Bump Sigh*

3. Unclenugs has a grow going on where he is using both hydro and aero. You should check it out and talk to him.

4. Thank you very much for your input on this, I currently have 5 fucking HUGE and by huge i mean 3 feet tall and roughly 1 foot wide White Russians ( the real fucking deal from Serious Seeds) in veg in my hydro setup i constructed and I will be taking clones and flowering the mothers in a matter of days I would like to make the most informed decision i can make for the future of this strain/grow.

+ since this is a medical grow i am trying to optimize the amount of trichomes (aka thc content ) to plant matter in the buds since the plant matter contains alot of unnessasary toxins and I have heard that both hydro and aero have very tight, dense nugs and with good genetics alot of THC compaired to soil.

5. Well, I grow in DWC. I have never grown in aero, but, I chose DWC because it provides the plants with more oxygen to the roots. I read that soil only provides about 55% oxygen and most hydro systems are more like 75% oxygen. The exception was said to be DWC with about 85% oxygen and aero providing over 90%. The results that I have seen in DWC is amazing, but I only have one soil grow to compare. Since I started DWC I have never thought about growing in soil, but you have seemed to come to that same conclusion. Sorry I could not be of more help.

6. Thank very much for your input + rep!

And yeah, soil is just so slow compared to a hydro or aero system, I'm just trying to find someone who has done bother hydro and aero i guess, or just someone who has aero that i can compare grows with.

7. Hey thanks for the rep. I have been talking to Nugs about my project, he has been very eager to help. Here is his journal, and again I am sure he would be willing to answer your questions http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced...-still-growin-bubbles-perpetuating-habit.html.

8. thanks man, I just PMed him, ill be on the site for about another 30 mins helping poeple out with their ?'s but I will definitely post my harvest in about 10 days so be on the lookout for it =p

9. #9 Unclenugs, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2009
    Yo!

It's all about what works for you. There are a ton of different Hydroponic techniques; DWC, Aero, Ebb & Flow, NFT, Fog, Hempy Buckets, Wick systems, blah blah blah. They all grow weed Great when they are properly maintained.

If you want to grow primo bud, you need to make you're growing environment perfect. This means proper temps, proper humidity, proper air flow, and proper lighting.

You can have the highest-tech growing machine out there, but if any of these conditions in you're environment are sub-par, your machine doesn't mean squat...

You want heavy trichrome coverage, research UVB light bulbs as supplemental lighting. Getting your light as close to the bud as possible also packs on trics.

After you get all environmental conditions under control, any hydroponic system will flourish just as well as the next, when properly maintained. It's really up to what system you're comfortable with building (or buying) and maintaining.

For a beginner to hydro, I'd recommend Ebb & Flow for warmer climates, or DWC if you can keep your water below 72F under HIDs

The system you choose needs to fit your growing area. Aero works well for grows with several, small plants. But if you're just growing two or three monsters, DWC might fit you better. Ebb & Flow trays work well in areas with height limitations, and the larger E&F buckets can grow huge plants.

maybe invent your own type of hydro. all you have to do is supply the roots with water, nutrients, oxygen, and darkness. Those are the only rules, almost anything else goes....

Hope I havn't confused you more. All the systems out there are great in their own way.

10. Hows it going Cali_Quick?

Currently i got an Aero Grow going on. I though it might be something you would be interested in. In the grow i have some plants in soil so i can get a comparison between the soil and Aero.
    check it out if you like
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/492945-reserva-privada-og-kush-18-a.html