Hydro rubbermaid/closet grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by HappyMeal, Jun 26, 2011.

1. I'm only iPhone so bear with me!
    This is my first grow, I will be growing in a 31 gallon rubbermaid tub, with another on top.

My hydro system is a 5 gallon tub with 6 plant holders. It is a dwc And it waters the plants from the top also. I'm going to place this into the big tub, most likely stack it on things to reach the lighting.

Ventilation: x2 120 mm fans on the roof of top bin, on the bottom 3 ventilation holes with PVC elbows for better air flow. I don't yet know how to light proof but I'm not worried about it because my germination will start on the 29th when I get back into FL.

Seeds: I am going to be starting with greenhouse seeds trainwreck and white widow, I plan to grow them very large and don't know which strain I will start with/mix strains. I also got lemon skunk and a couple others. As far as it concerns the widow and trainwreck have basically the same flower pd. Which is 7-8 I believe off the top of my head.

My only question is lighting. I have 6 23 w cfls putting out 1600 lumens, daylight and 3 big cfls which put out 300 w, and 4,200 lumens I believe. I plan to grow 2 large plants in this box, until I can clone more and build another.

Will this be enough? In total for veg I will have 9,600 lumens for a small place, I want to put 10 23 w daylight cfls and for flower add the X3 big boys 300w.

As for nutes and all it's in my hydro system at home and I happen to be out of state. I want to get 2-3 onions from this first grow, I also will be growing my lemon skunk plant with a bucket and dwc later on, always my lighting like I said is my only issue, when I get to Florida I wil post pics. I'm open to ideas let me know

2. Those CFLs sound like enough fire power for some mothers and clones in your vegetative box. I am guessing that the exhaust fans you have are PC fans which might have a hard time keeping all those cfls cool. Cfls run cooler than HID lighting but cram a bunch in a small space and heat can become an issue.

Here's my 2 cents, invest in small 150 watt hps light, $70 on eBay but I'm sure you can get a better deal with a little searching, and a good centrifugal or similar fan for your flowering box. The HPS will do wonders on the buds and the fans keep the temp in check.

Peace & :smoke:

3. The more light the better. CFL's are good for clones and vegging. That's because they produce a blue light. From flowering you should have a light that emits an orange light or red. The plants reacts differently to both of these lights. A good 400w light will run you $300.

Never think cheap in this hobbie. Cheap will produce smaller yeilds.