Hydro Noob here, Looking for some help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheBabyJ, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Alright, so I am using a Bubbleponics constant drip system from Stealth Hydro. I just tested the PH of my water, and its sitting where it needs to be between 5.5 and 6.5

I am using rockwool cubes, in hydrotons, with 2 CFL 300 watt replacement bulbs.

I keep the humidity stable with a humidifier and fresh air flowing through.

Two sprouted rather quickly, but now only one is growing steadily. Other ones have sprouted, but look rather sickly. One turned dark green and wilted, so did the other one that was looking rather well. There is still one going strong. Today it developed an odd coloration on one of its leaves and its turning a yellowish brown sort of color.

I used Big Bud Feminized Auto Flowering seeds from Ministry of Cannabis and have heard many great things about them.

Any and I mean ANY insight here would be a TON of help. I don't want this whole venture to go downhill, it is my first Hydro grow, so i wasn't expecting spectacular results, but i am hoping to salvage at least 1 or 2 plants from this :(

[​IMG]

The slightly larger one has the same coloration on one of its leaves.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

2. Bump, someone please give some insight here :(

3. I don't think you have anything to be worried about. Leaf discoloration isn't totally uncommon, especially when they are young. I would try to keep the leaves dry, as sometimes you can get water on the leaves and it could cause that, but honestly, the pic you posted doesn't look much different than most of my seedlings. remember, rockwool has high pH, so it can cause pH to swing high, sometimes when I have leaf discoloration it is pH issues or too high of nutes. At this point, you shouldn't even be using nutes yet, so that should rule that out. not sure what you're using to check pH, but I would suggest spending some coin on a decent electronic/battery one along with a good PPM tester, both vital for dialing it in with hydroponics.

good luck, hope this helps!

4. Thank you so much. You have helped me more than you know. I have been very anxious ever since I started this, and I am the kind of person that doesn't stress over anything, but I really want to get this right hahaha

I will try lowering the PH a bit since you say the rockwool cubes tend to raise it. I tested it with a tester you use to check swimming poools lol

I moved two of the really struggling ones to soil to try and get it a sturdy root system, then Im going to place it directly in the hydrotons. Good idea? yes, no? lol

5. Welcome to GC :)

How far are your lights from the plants? Whats the room temp and humidity levels?

6. #6 TheBabyJ, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
    Nice to see someone pretty local :D I see you are from NC, I live right on the Border of NC and VA :)

Anyway, the room temperature stays between 70-80 degrees, I have a humidifier in the closet, so I'm guessing the humidity level is pretty decent.

I have 3 lights as of now, 2 CFL 300 Watt, one is a couple of inches from the babies, one is above in the fixture about 5 feet above (in the basic closet light fixture) and then a big flood light, which is angled to the side, about a foot away ( this light puts off a lot of heat so I wanted to keep it away) I know I need more lights, and will invest money in more lights/fixtures if this goes well. I open the closet about 15 hours a day and air out the room/closet.

I am currently ordering another bubble disk and air pump because I don't think the small one I have is putting enough oxygen into the water.

Any tips? I can post a picture of the set up if that would help!

Also, I currently have three of the seedlings in a greenhouse to try and save them and build a stronger root system before I place them in the hydrotons ( what I messed up on in the beginning) i was in such a rush to get them going I only let them germinate for 24 hours, and they had not really sprouted, i put them straight in rockwool and into the bubbleponics, which was a mistake I believe. Two of them grew fine, but three of them didn't. I am hoping to salvage them, a family member who is a more experienced gardener suggested I put them in the greenhouse.

7. Here is a picture of what I have going currently.

[​IMG]

The top light, one of the 300watt CFL's isn't visible, but its there xD

I didn't have much starting money, so thats why my setup isn't quite that superb. I am hoping to harvest enough to re invest and make something really sick :)

Oh, the seeds I used are supposed to be very very good, so I am hoping the genetics of this amazing Big Bud plant helps me out some :)

8. Anyone have any more tips?

9. thats not real watts, its equivalents .. its prolly 68-70w (real watts).. and i recommend getting sum more 20-42watt bulbs around the plant as it gets bigger or you will have a pretty hard time covering the whole plant without reflectors. what spectrum is the lights btw ?

10. The lights are 3400 Lumens, Dual Spectrum I believe

11. I'm buying another 400W CFL Sunlite, so that will be around 12,000 Lumens, not too bad is it?