hydro gods I call on thee, looking for some helpful input

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by nugstats, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Ok, so until recently I've been playing solely in the dirt, which has worked out fairly well. However I recently began playing with a few bubble buckets, and have caught a glimpse of the awesome growth that can come from it. Unfortunately it was short lived, I got hit with the clear/white snot/slime of doom. Ive been reading and reading about this stuff, and from what I've gathered it seems that if you have it, there's not really a tried and true method of dealing with it or eliminating it. The way I see it in a nutshell is you can deal with it one of two ways. Either sterilizing all of your equipment, starting with new clones, and keeping a steady H2O2 level and crossing your fingers, OR trying to fight fire with fire and brewing up a tea of bennies to add to the res every few days. The bacteria that causes this crap is not from anything i add to my mix, ive just been goin at it with the lucas formula. It comes right from my tap, if i leave a bucket of water out overnight, it has a film of this stuff all over the inside of the bucket, and along the surface of the water by morning. This will happen regardless of light, temperature or aeration. (I've tested to see if i can slow/stop it from occurring in different environments)

So now comes my question, should I throw out the idea of going hydro until I re-locate to a place with better water?
    I was about to purchase an R/O system until reading that it may not solve the problem, or even make it worse.

Would this slime still give me trouble in an e&f system or nft?

I entertained the idea of going with the bennies, but i feel like i read everywhere that its just a nightmare to try and deal with anything but chemicals in a dwc. Also, i feel like running bennies would leave me walking a fine line between thriving bennies and thriving slime, which with one wrong move could leave me without a crop, which wouldnt be worth it to me.

Im trying to steer away from soil because its difficult for me to aquire and dispose of where I live, but if theres no way around this stuff idk what other options i have.

Ive been pulling my hair out day and night trying to come up with a solution to this snafu, I appreciate any helpful info.

* oh, i also saw one post on highgrade seeds website, where they recommend using "no damp" to get rid of it? Only place i read that so im pretty apprehensive to go for it.

Thanks!

2. If you dont let in light, you get no slime.

I use a waterfarm system, but I made a clone machine that can be used for all stages.

google "Make a aeroponic system"

pretty simple, cost about 50.00

3. oooO0oOO0ooO0ooo I wanna Read that When, .. I'm not so Fried, .. .. :smoking:

C ing ya Then , .. .. .. ; ) .. ..

4. I dont mean to be rude at all T51k but its not like that, its not an algea nor does it photosynthesize. Like I said in the post, ive left buckets of plain tap water in the dark, ( both warm and cold) and the stuff still grows. Its a bacteria, not a plant at all, the light makes no difference.
    Thanks anyway though

5. hah, thanks WWM im hoping for some help from you vets around here, this stuff is like the houdini of slime. I need to get a little more baked and relax before i start pullin bits of this slime off my roots to try and torture it LOL

6. Most of the problems are caused by light.

Invest in a ro system. Worth it. There a counter top model in the hydro section some place, six stages, 135 bucks or something crazy.

Or continue to rock tap and use hydrogen peroxide. Or I believe hydrozyme, there's also another one. Can't member the name. It will help keep the res clean

7. florakleen??

8. probably the same shit brutha...:cool:

9. Ive been running 5ml/gal of 29% H2O2 with every res change and have been adding 5ml more every 3 days. Ive read and seen where people have tried upping their h2o2 dose until it burnt their ladies, with still no luck destroying the slime. Ive still been running it at the normal dose just as a preventative measure. Ive also given aquashield from botanicare a try, without any spectacular results.

I took fresh clones and put them in a res with distilled water i bought from the store, im going to see if i can keep it away and not let it be introduced at all, but im afraid that wont be possible. Also it would be too costly and a PITA to be lugging 20 gals of water a week for just a few plants that are for my own consumption, just wanted to see if i could make it work with well established plants.

Ill probably pick up an R/O system anyway, its not all that huge of an investment.

I just want to make sure i can keep this stuff at bay before putting all my eggs in that basket

Heres the link to the thread on using the bennies http://www.rollitup.org/dwc-bubbleponics/361430-how-breed-your-own-beneficial.html[/U
    Thanks for the help!

10. **** with the money it gots ugly like coyote

dont mess with that light in the rez.

11. If your tap water has enough of this bacteria in it to cause a film over night... that's seriously fucked up. Get an RO unit... I'm amazed you can grow anything with that water. How's your pH?

-Loki

12. yea its rough, my ph is all over too, usually up around 8.

Anyone have any idea if an RO unit will get rid of it?

This guy claims people havent been able to remove it with an RO system. Root Slime don't bother me!

13. RO filters block stuff that is 0.0001 to 0.001 microns in size - that covers Metal Ions and Aqueous Salts (TDS). Bacteria are HUGE (0.5 - 10+ mircons)

Spend a little and get a 20 ppm
    Spend a little more and you can get 0 ppm

I just got a 100 GPD, 0 ppm RO unit from Pure Water Club which I'm going to hookup tomorrow. I have a tread going on that unit and will be posting what I find in that.

Price - $64 with 2-day shipping in the USA included.

14. thats a good read..

still think a R.O system and making sure no light gets into your grow water is the best thing you can do

rumple even suggests taping a bucket thats already black, just to make sure... he said that if you take a flash light and stick it in the bucket and turn out the light and can see it... thats too much light... were talking about very little light...

The article even suggests using peroxide to kill the problem... sometimes we gotta do what we can, when we can

15. Light isn't his issue... He needs beni's in his micro herd... The slime is a fairly common problem. Usually, growers that are big on H2O2 get the slime...

-Loki

16. yea, Im starting to think bennies are the only way around it. Honestly im too busy and lazy to be brewin that stuff up every week, and constantly monitoring the situation. I just picked up some of my local shops in-house soil mix. Im gonna keep tinkering with the dwc, just not go for the gold with it yet. Well see, im growing a few small jars of this bacteria for test subjects, see if i cant find somethin to kill it or at least keep it at bay. Thanks for all the help folks!

17. let me get this straight.. you get white slime when you add nutes to your water? How long did it take for you to notice the white slime?

18. Get your water tested at a local lab. They might be able to identify it. I think it costs $60-90 for a basic panel.
    I had red/brown slime and Hygrozyme kept it away after I hit it with H2O2.

19. I'm still here, .. ..

hang on, .. almost Lift-Off ta Your Goals .. .. ..

;)