HuMMAP Commercial Cannabis Industry Tax and Regulation Proposal

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Oct 13, 2010.

1. #1 oltex, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
    HuMMAP Commercial Cannabis Industry Tax and Regulation Proposal
    Humboldt Medical Marijuana Advisory Panel / 10,12,2010

The Humboldt Medical Marijuana Advisory Panel proposes regulations designed to stabilize our county’s rural economies with a tax policy that encourages families to stay on their land, while increasing county tax yields and recognizing that a greater number of small farmers contributes more to our county’s economy and culture than fewer large growers can, while reducing crime and police concerns. We propose:

That county licensing fees be levied based on mature plant canopy area. A yearly fee of $200 shall be paid for the first 100 square feet of cultivated area per parcel, with graduated fees increasing for larger cultivation areas up to one acre, according to this or a similar table:

100 square feet, annual fee of $200
    200 sq. ft. $500
    300 $800
    400 $1200
    500 $1500
    1000 $3500
    2000 $8000
    3000 $13,000
    4000 $19,000
    5000 $25,000
    10,000 $60,000
    20,000 $140,000
    40,000 $300,000

A plan for responsible water use must accompany all permit applications. A countywide cannabis trade association or Supervisorial Task Force shall work cooperatively to encourage compliance and address enforcement and evolving policy issues. Non-compliance shall be punishable by civil fines.

As our elected officials, we ask you to pass a resolution urging state officials to adopt these or similar standards statewide, in support of the many small rural counties currently dependent upon cannabis farming. We also urge you to work with private industry and county agencies to protect our appellation, and to brand values and practices as well as location, so that Humboldt becomes ever more synonymous with healthy and sustainable small-scale agriculture. In return for program compliance, growers will receive an official Humboldt-Grown tax stamp/certificate of provenance affixed to fee-paid production in various unit sizes. Growers smaller than 1000 square feet may receive a distinctive Humboldt Home-Grown certificate.

We ask that this permitting structure be in place by March 1st, 2011.

What interests me is to see what the legislature sets as the personal grow tax per sq ft maximum charge will be,to avoid cities/counties enacting fees prohibitive to each persons right to grow their own.

2. kinda lame how we gotta buy our freedom to grow but it's worth it :D 200 buck to grow in a 100 sq feet for a year? i'm down :smoke:

3. You realize the above rates are for commercial grows?
    A 100 ft commercial grow could apply to an extremely talented grower,capable of providing for a select clientele.
    What might cause problems then would be the possible security requirements,especially in an urban setting.
    If a grower decided to do his backyard into a grow and grew skunk,he could be burned out about the 6th week of blooming.:smoke: or invaded by baby dinosaurs,they eat marijuana plants,don't ya know.

4. ^^ That would be my main concern; is the tax levied before opr after harvest? What happens if there is a catastrophic incident to the crop? Still not a bad proposal, but it is a bit greedy on the counties part.

5. haahha,,fuck out door grow,i would rather grow my plants in doors. 100 sq feet is like the same of a bedroom..right?..around there..that's a shit load of room!:eek:

6. Only $500 for 200sq feet? An avid grower could make that much in his closet. I'm down for these rates.

7. the local gov't is gonna squeeze every kind of tax dollar out of the coming legalization. just like any major consumer product industry, theres gonna be a million different ways the state will find to siphon more and more taxes. I wonder what the next tax is gonna be?

8. I'm trying to figure out why the price increases more than double while the ft per grow stays consistent. Why don't they just make it even? It is a small amount of money but if I wanted to start a huge grow and saw that I would split it up into two fields.

Two 500 ft gardens for 3k while a 1,000 ft garden is 3.5.

9. ^^ That and this is all done without consideration of potential market changes i.e. if the price per ounce starts nose diving to the theoretical price of $32 an Oz, etc. :smoke:

10. or if you suffer crop losss, like whats happening all over the hills of humboldt and mendo right now, as i understand it anyways.

lots of mold problems.

11. ^^ Like my first post in this thread, great minds think alike.:cool::smoke:

12. #12 chtxbx, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010
    dont forget that pesky DEA bug

13. Oh yeah..that's going to suck if they're still going to used that same old excuse "It's illegal under FEDeraL LaW blah blah blah" :(:mad:

14. #14 oltex, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
    When the federal government is borrowing from Peter to pay Paul,I don't see them mounting a multi-billion dollar law enforcement effort,however,I would not invest large sums of money into a grow or outlet,just in case.
    If the DEA comes in,it will be on the large commercial grows and outlets.
    That could help the small growers for a few more years,as there won't be many people willing to risk that much capitol to have the government confiscate land,equipment and crop at any moment.
    It will also keep prices pretty up until those large grows kick in more supply than demand.