Humidity spikes and fluctuations

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Donkynutz, Mar 15, 2020.

1. I’m running a 4x8x8 grow room in a cold garage in Ontario. I have a heater that kicks in when the room gets below 70degrees with lights out. My outtake fan is a 400cfm fan that is controlled by a inkbird and it kicks on when the room gets above 78-80 degrees. The room is passive and sealed pretty good and can keep a good consistent environment . My issue is when the fan kicks on every 10 mins or so for usually 3 mins at a time the humidity drops to about 34% then when the fan kicks off the humidity will go back up to about 50-55%. I’m concerned with the huge spike that happens at least 5 times a hour. How would one regulate that spike? I can’t keep the fan on 24/7 cause it’s freezing here and the garage is not heated, I’m trying to avoid running the heater for the whole time lights are off.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. either heat the air before getting to your grow space, or get a humidistat...they can cost?

I used to heat the air with a 60w light bulb in the vent in tube. sprayed black

good luck

3. I do have a inkbird variant of the humidistat as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. At this point I have not needed to use that or the dehumidifier. Will a humidifier and a dehumidifier ran off the humidistat be able to control the spike with the air coming in?

5. When cold air is heated, its humidity can go way down, as you are observing.
    Humidity fluctuations can be avoided by using a humidity control that is unlikely to work very well, or by controlling the temperature of the air that goes into the tent.

But do the fluctuations do any real harm?
    I doubt it, but if I wanted to keep temp and humidity constant, I'd intake warm air from inside the house.
    And set the Inkbird's temperature variation control to 1 F.

Cannabis will grow with any humidity, but it will thrive with higher humidity.
    I'd have at least one top fill ultrasonic humidifier to try to keep the humidity fluctuations between 50 and 65% instead of 35-50% if I decided to live with the fluctuations.

6. I was just concerned with pm due to the dramatic spikes.