Humidity shock?...

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by cocowheats, Dec 15, 2010.

1. So I got some 6-8" clones fully rooted in sunshine #4 mix started on foxfarm 1/2 nutes on 18/6 florescent light....brought them home and put them in my room on the outside of my light area(mh bulb,43%humidity,72F) to assure a build up to the full mh light....out of 12, 2 seem to be drying up. I have been misting them multiple times a day, pushed them more away from light, and tried raising room humidity(didn't help much)....I just now shut my room fan since I have a exhaust fan pullin air through a carbon filter, through 2 lights, back into the room(for heat, 10f outside now)

Plants themselves have leaves curling up and in but have remained flexible(not crumbly dry like they look) and green...I do believe they felt dryish today...last effort was to shut the fan off and mist them/room again....should I let the 2 "sleep" since they went from 18/6 to 24/0?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Is the fan drying them out?...I've never seen this...fan off helped a bit but the other plants cant take no fan....bump

3. #3 209, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010
    using clear cups cant help, roots need 0 light. R there holes in bottom of those cups? how long have you had em in these cups? R those roots i see thru the cup?

4. Looks like Nute burn, but how close are the lights?!

5. #5 cocowheats, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010
    Those are roots you see and there are drain holes in the bottom...I got these clones from somebody so that's why they are in clear cups...they were supposedly on fox farm(I think) nutes in a soilless mix at 1/4" strength(the nutes I mean)...they are on the very outside on the wall where the
    MH(has a good 4' from a 600w) barely hits, they keep leaning for the light(typical though)...

I didn't think it looked like nute burn cause there's no yellowing(unless I don't know of this kind of burn?)....I'visting them w/distilled water every couple hours and it's helped a little...also bought a humidifier and room is now 50-60%!...also am now running my 2nd light so temp is up to 80 solid/steady......the "soil" is moist 2"+ down but haven't flooded it yet.

Did I leave anything out?...I don't have anything to test the "soil" ph(have a Milwaukee ph/ec/tds though)

6. Twisted leaves=pH problems ... usually. They look nute burnt also.

Get them out of those clear cups and slack off with the misting.

You are loving them to death.

Wet

7. Flush them again, measure the EC and also check the PH of your run off

8. #8 cocowheats, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
    Ph is way high...like 7.8-8....so I flushed with distilled water and am waiting see the results.....haven't seen them do this with high ph before...had a good 4-5 growing strong at 7.8(didn't have a meter then...)

9. #9 guerilla45, Dec 17, 2010
    Dude. there drowning, then dryin out. transplant into semi moist soil...wait two days water lightly if needed.

10. #10 cocowheats, Dec 17, 2010
    I was thinking that but I have a 3rd w/the same issue but it's only affected 1 fan and it's been transplanted/flushed and sits under direct mh light...I watered them and covered the clear cups in case light was the culprit...

I think I'm going to make room in my cloner for them so they are under t5 light instead at 60-70%humidity...let them sit like that for a day an then transplant them?...or just transplant them?...was worried bout the shock killing them since they are doing kinda shitty already.

11. easy now, that humidity is good for the young ones. when the roots expand in those cups (dont use clear no more) they pull the soil tight and dominate the side of the container. Then ya gotta water them heavy to get the soil wet enough to sustain them over night. so with all that water at once the Ooxygen level is low due to no open areas in the soil. just imagine if every time you took a drink of water someone pushed your head 2 foot under water, it would make gettin a drink kind of a bitch!!

when you transplant moisten, do not wet, just moisten enough soil for the container mix it with your hands so it even moisture. When you put the soil in the pot do not pact it at alljust drop it in there and dont pack it at all. put the baby in there anddont pack it at all. then just wait 1-2 days and watter a decent amount. all though air pockets in the soil are so important. you could use the best soil mix on earth, but once its packed and the air is gone, its over.

if ya got a big container that does the same thing then you can totally submerge the planter soil and all under water. bubbles will come up from the soil for a minute, thats the bad air excaping, when the bubbles stop take it out and dont do anything to it till its in need of water, about 1 week.

good luck man youll be ok.

"G"

12. Oxygen deprived?... That'd make sense!...I'm gonna mix the soil on the 3rd and transplant the 2 shown tonight...I'll keep this updated as to what happens...thanks all and g for the input/advice thus far.

13. Adding some powdered dolomite lime to that soil before you transplant will take care of a lot of issues.

More perlite also.

Wet

14. Well, I transplanted and used moistened mix(my sunshine #4 is semi moist and I layered it misting with a spray bottle every 2-3layers as I mixed my 2/1 perlite in)...only prob is now they are very visibly burned now(before I didn't have as much yellow in the burn)....so I guess flush them with 1/4 strenght nutes and drop the ph waaay lower(was like 8-8.3 I believe)...I though going to 5.8-6.3 was way to dramatic of a drop...I'm guessing it's neccesary here though?

15. If it's fresh soil, you don't need to feed any nutes just yet, the plant will feed from the nutes in the soil for at least a week or so.

16. #16 cocowheats, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
    Well, it's soiless mix(sunshine #4 with 2/1 sunshine to perlite added)...so there aren't any nutes in it....I watered the now dry transplants with nutes at 6.3ph and 12hrs later they look better....dropped the ph on the rest of my garden an the twist in the few are starting to disappear...I'll update pics in another 12hr or so.