Humidity problems

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mainegrower84, Jul 19, 2017.

1. If your humidity is that high then I have to think you're not moving enough air. I live in one of the most humid places around. It's 80-100% humidity outside daily. My tent is 37% with the lights on and 55% or so with lights off. You have to run your exhaust fan all the time and it takes 400cfm or more to vent a good size space like 4x4. You may just have too small of an exhaust fan.

A dehumidifier is an air conditioner that runs in circles and adds heat to your grow space not to mention significant increased electrical cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Can you explain. I personally have a 4x2x4 and my humidity hoovers at 65% on avg rainy days or watering days and it goes to 80+ sometimes and I have a 442cfm fan venting everything out... i also have a giant tower fan inside on full blast using wind mode and I have a fairly strong intake too... had to much negative pressure otherwise like the tent was gonna just emplode pressure haha.

Nail on the head with excess electricity and heat though... neither of which I can afford and I have so much airflow I've ever had a mold problem anyhow...

Robs New Journal RQS SQ#1 Clones

3. Is your intake air coming from a regulated indoor space? The air in my home that is used for intake is never high enough humidity to get it anywhere near 70%. I'm pretty consistently in the high 30's with the bloom lights on.

The amount of light power you have will effect the humidity as well. The more light you have the lower the humidity will be. What is your lighting in the 4x2x4?

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have a window unit that keeps inside temps at 72-80.... depending on where at and the tent stays at around 72-82 degrees depending on lights on or off I also only have 300 actual watts (1 mars hydro 300 per plant and a couple sidelights)

5. You should also be measuring your temp and humidity at the top of the plant canopy. It can vary quite a bit closer to the floor. 300 actual watts 78 degrees average and with all that exhaust you're still 70% humidity? I have to think it's not reading right or someone is taking a shower all day. Your exhaust fan blows outside right and runs 24/7? The exhaust fan must be ducted outside. You can't recirc air.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I only have a couple months of this crap left anyhow... come winter it drops to the point where I need a humidifier.. and yeah I do have the exhaust vented. Like I said the plants don't get mold or any other problems so I never been to worried but I definitely will take your advice and start getting the temp from the canopy as well.

7. Thanks for the info, today before I left for work I put a big oscillating fan in the room and had it oscillating around the tent from the outside and when I got home I was down to 58%. So I'm happy with that. I think you were right as far as not having enough air flow. Either way I have a dehumidifier on the way for later stages. Just another quick question. I have two more seeds I just put into soil yesterday, should I have the light on above them before they sprout?

• Like Like x 1
  8. You'll want the light on them as soon as they do germinate and sprout.

J

• Like Like x 1
  9. So i don't want it on the pots until they break the surface?

• Like Like x 1
  10. There's no need in running light on them if they haven't sprouted... as soon as you notice they have sprouted you can turn the light on... it's no big deal either way it's just not really necessary

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ok I will try to address some of your blather...hope you enjoyed your theme song in the mean time.
    First, thats right you have never experienced bud rot/mold. You fail to mention that you have not even grown in every season and have not grown through a whole summer yet. So your apple polishing is a bit overwrought. Bopping into a thread and stating your "experience" with humidity to an OP when the OP is worried about humidity IS advice. Backpedal all you want. Your advice is effing dangerous on top of ignorant. Set up a poll thread asking if flowering at 70% humidity is wise and see how many feel it to be just fine. Yes, I have seen you do similar with other topics in the past and have called you on it because it is actually YOU who puts up a false front. Not me. And here, pal, i posted first..so who is following who? I think the last time was over a month ago and you reported me for suggesting that bowling may be your thing. (I love that one ;) ) My bad. So you are not confused, I am into my fourth year of growing for myself while I have been specifically working with a another grower....manning his grow when he needed me to and trimming for him most every harvest. That has been consistant for a decade while I been associated with growers since you were probably shitting yellow.. So yeah, I have picked up and experienced a few things, good and bad.
    Sorry dude, but I cannot apologize for pointing out ridiculous advice. Quit doing it and I will quit calling you on it. As to all the other sillyness and backhanded insults...well you can rest assured that "I" will not go crying to the mods.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. #32 generic98547, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    [​IMG] man keep lying to try and show out on grasscity I don't care lmao... I haven't grown in these conditions? Humidity and temps were the same when I flowered my last special queen.... actually humidity was a lot higher for most of that grow but you keep believing what you want and keep posting all the lies about how experienced you are all you want... I waited until after OP posted he bought a humidifier to post that... you sure as hell didn't see me posting OP RETURN THAT DEHUMIDIFIER ITS UNNEEDED!!! lmao... nope just posted my conditions to let him know that 70% humidity doesn't automatically mean mold... if he can afford to run a dehumidifier more power to him because obviously a lower humidity is IDEAL nobody is saying otherwise.

I am disappointed though here I thought you were gonna post a picture of some giant farm full of 10 foot tall plants but nope just more talking lol you are on my ignore list now so ya don't have to worry about me calling ya out like that no more I mean after all you're obviously just gonna keep yapping without backing it up.

13. Dude, it's just been a humid month here in Maine. Is there a charcoal filter in the tent? Mine seems to help with humidity too. Putting a dehumidifier inside a tent that small will heat it up an extra 10-20 degrees as the coils give off heat in the condensation process. If you get one you should put it in the room but not in the tent. You may just need a stronger inline fan. Your ac should take care of the humidity if you crank it up a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Yea it's been a brutal month. I don't have a filter in the tent cause I didn't think I needed it yet. As far as the dehumidifier I am just going to put it in the room. It's rated for 1100 cubic feet and the room my tent is in is about 960 cubic feet so it should work great. But the humidity is staying right around 58 now and temp about 82 so I'm gonna go with it for a bit. If you're in Maine you might be able to answer another question I have. Do you grow indoors through the winter? If so how do you vent the exhaust? Right now I have mine blowing out a window and that obviously isn't gonna work during the winter

• Like Like x 1
  15. Eh you could try to vent it outside of that room or maybe have it out the window but insulate the opened area around the vent... idk just brainstorming for ya but you have a pretty big room worse comes to worse you should be fine just venting it on the opposite side of the room from the intake since I'd imagine you have vents pumping air in the room.

16. I'm in Mass and damn this humidity has been a bitch. Had an autoflower outdoors and harvested yesterday. Lost a couple grams to bud rot. Another outdoor site had wpm on 2 plants. I built a grow room in the attic of an insulated barn and am running a portable a/c and a dehumidifier downstairs where the grow room pulls in fresh cool air from. Also have one up in the attic outside of the grow room. But am debating on cutting a hole in the wall and putting it half in the room with the heat venting outside. I've been right around 50-55% and I'm during mid flower. However when it rains, my humidity jumps to 70+ and takes a day or 2 to come down again. No issues yet and I hope it doesn't pose a problem later on during flower. I do have several fans blowing across the canopy which helps. Only a few more weeks of summer weather and it'll start cooling down.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I think I found a solution! Here's a pic of what I am currently doing. Just have the fan blowing out the window.... but if you look at the ceiling there's a light that comes in from the attic. Boom. Just gonna take that light out once it gets cold, cut a 6 1/2 in hole( the lights bracket will still fit over it when I want to put the light back) and vent into the attic. And before anyone comments about b n careful with electricity don't worry I'm very familiar with it. Lol. Thanks for the ideas everyone but I just happened to think of this while watering. I feel pretty good about it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Forgot the pic lol IMG_1136.JPG

19. Just be careful dumping air into the attic. If the exhaust is humid, you could possibly set yourself up with a mold issue.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

20. Even if the attic is vented?