Humbolt CH9 - Usain HumBolt 300w LED

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by amoebassassin, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Greetings again GC. Ive got a freebie seed from Attitude Seeds that I germinated in an Aerogarden Pro 100, Humbolt CH9. This is my second attempt to grow in my stealth closet: an audio equipment case. Last time I tried to use a 250w MH but the heat completely roasted the little plants. Ive had good experience with LEDs outside of growing and since the heat signature will mimimal I purchased a 300w LED setup from eBay I have a second Aerogarden and will be germinating another seed when they arrive. This time from Single Seed Centre.

2. Tonight I finally have some pictures of the new setup! The LED UFO came today. I purchased a 128w and a 300w to test and compare. Right now I have the 128w up and we will see how it goes. 5 spectrum; White, Orange, Red, Deep Red, and Blue. I took the light hood of the Aerogarden completely off. The unit is good for germinating seeds but the lights are just too high above the little plants...The plant is struggling to reach way up there even at the lowest height setting. Instead I rigged up some chain to hang the LED UFO from. It's resting about 4 inches from the top of the plant right now. After plugging it in and running 5 - 10 minutes there was still no heat signature. The LED is rigged to run on 20/4 setting on a timer while the water pump and oxygen pump stay on 24 straight. Cheers!

Attached Files:

3. Day 10

I've begun the minerals. I'm using General Hydroponics line. The hydro store worker suggested that this is one of the better lines.

Attached Files:

4. Day 11

It's amazing how different the plant looks 36 hours after the minerals. I feel that this plant is ABSOLUTELY loving the LED lighting as well as the minerals. As is when I plugged it in and started the light it was just saying, "Ahh, refreshing" Haha. I always heard growing up that "Plants have feelings...." Now that I am growing my own I think I'm buying into the notion. :D

Attached Files:

5. Day 13

It's been around another 36 hours again and I wanted to update with another photo. I have to say that for 13 days this plant is looking VERY healthy compared to some others that I have seen. However with growing, as with life, it's "not the beginning that matters but the end." I've heard that LED grow lights lack the umph to push the plants through flowering stage but we will have to see. The 300w will be here today so I may grow this plant with the 300w and use the 128w for cloning / germinating. The CH9 can yield up to 80g indoor so I doubt that I will clone. I am growing for personal use and enjoyment not sale.

[​IMG]

6. Day 14

The 300w LED is no longer coming. :(. I instead will be using the Aerogarden Pro 100 hoods (28w x 4) to help the grow along the way.[​IMG]

7. What happend?

8. Its looking good, I use flo's many times for sprouting. Nice thing about flo's is you can get the lights alot closer without burning them

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

9. Unhinged..China eBay scammer happened.

10. [quote name='"amoebassassin"']Unhinged..China eBay scammer happened.[/quote]

GG... Brutal man that's all I have to say.

11. Yah! GG indeed on that one. I am working through Paypal to get my money back. Thankfully I will be re-reimbursed but I am just PISSED off that it happened. Especially because he made himself look legit with feedback ect...

On a positive note I started the second round of nutes today. General Hydro: 5ml Grow and Micro with 2ml Bloom. I also rigged up some odor control as it was starting to smell a bit. I went the route of DIY ONA with some venting. I think that I will go for a DIY carbon filter though because I do not like the smell of the ONA at ALL!

Getting Bigger!
    [​IMG]

Siphoning Old Water Out
    [​IMG]

12. Hey gang! Usain is looking wonderful today. Real thick root system growing as well. I'm so proud of this plant. :D. I am just in awe when I sit there and check in on it at night. I'm also so excited to enjoy the end product. It has been 7 years since I have smoked.

The smell was noticeable to me tonight...I pretty much have the ventilation ghetto rigged. I patched it up some so I will see if it makes a difference tomorrow. The bottom of the plant looked to be lacking light from the LED UFO so I brought one of the Aerogarden hoods back in.

[​IMG]

I'm also wondering, when does flowering begin? To me it looks like it is starting to "flower" with smaller little buds popping out but I have no idea.

[​IMG]

13. [quote name='"amoebassassin"']Hey gang! Usain is looking wonderful today. Real thick root system growing as well. I'm so proud of this plant. :D. I am just in awe when I sit there and check in on it at night. I'm also so excited to enjoy the end product. It has been 7 years since I have smoked.

The smell was noticeable to me tonight...I pretty much have the ventilation ghetto rigged. I patched it up some so I will see if it makes a difference tomorrow. The bottom of the plant looked to be lacking light from the LED UFO so I brought one of the Aerogarden hoods back in.

I'm also wondering, when does flowering begin? To me it looks like it is starting to "flower" with smaller little buds popping out but I have no idea.

[/quote]

If its not an auto flower plant it goes into flower about 1.5-2weeks after switching to 12/12. Auto flowering plants flower on there own regardless of how long or short the light periods are, everything elses flower period is light dark sensitive.

14. Thanks for the input. I definitely need to keep on top of my research. Horror story today. My wife and I returned home from church and she walked in the house and back towards the basement. She says out loud, "Does it smell like pot in here?" OHhhhh man...I am crapping my pants. "Pot, uhhh, no I don't think so." Apparently my DIY ONA setup is a POS. The basement smelt like a bathroom after a person takes a dump and uses the air freshener. It smelt like pot and laundry. Fricking horrible...Well, I added more and put a larger fan in the setup. It should hold me over for a while but I seriously need a carbon filter IMMEDIATELY. Has anyone had any success with DIY?

15. So your doing a grow and the wife don't know about it?

Carbon filters are the best way to get around the smell.

I do anywhere from 8 to 24 plants a grow and have an 8 inch vortex fan and carbon filter to keep the smell away

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

16. yeah. i havent gotten around to telling her yet. i assume if i can make it through a whole grow first and cure the prduct i will let her know before i start smoking it. im definitely going to use a carbon filter of some type. i bought some activated carbon at the pet store last night.

17. Day 20

After some work tonight and scrapping some old computer fans I have a pretty decent odor control system as well as ventilation. I used an old Honeywell air filter that I got for free which has carbon inside and doubles as a fan and some activated carbon packets at the pet store. Without getting into detail is smells like there is 0% pot right now. I still have the ONA setup going in the corner of the room. I will try it without it tomorrow.

[​IMG]

The plant looks a little wilted on the bottom row. I'm wondering what the probable cause of this is? Being a noob I don't think think that I know much else than the:

PH level (always roughly around 5.8)
    Temperature (???)
    The direct heat from lights (not and issue)
    The amount of Oxygen (??? the air stones are at full level)
    Not enough nutes (5ml grow, 5ml micro, 2.1ml bloom)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. I'm really curious about LEDs. I think probably best in a scrog?

I got negative rep from some (now-banned) user (lessismore) last time I mentioned that I had a good experience with CH9 gear. lol.

I have a Humboldt that is almost ready to chop. It's a lovely plant, indeed.

My seed was over two years old, and only planted as insurance in case of problems with my other plant. Insurance is good, I found out.

I had a problem with a pH meter and went really acidic going into flowering, and the Dinafem Critical +, which was much quicker to show flowering, faster growing, branchier, shorter internodes, went balls out and hermied in protest of the acid trip I was giving her. I wept as I cut her from the scrog screen. I wasn't so optimistic with the lone Humboldt, which then also hermied in protest a few days later, but much less so. I figured out my acidity problem (new meter) and picked off the balls from the Humboldt, and prayed more wouldn't come. They didn't.

The plant stretched quite a bit (to the top of my cab... probably partly because of the stress) but never developed any more balls. It's in pure coco pith with a very thick trunk. Smell is lavender, buds are big and hard. I chopped some yesterday for a quick stash water cure and the rest will come down in a few days.

Good luck with your grow and your wife ;)

19. Wow you make this plant sound guuuuddd. How many inches tall do you think yours is? I may have to scrog mine if it grows too tall. The LEDs are bright, but they would doubtfully reach the bottom of the plant. I will be using four 28w bulbs on the bottom / sides.

I'm glad that your Humboldt made it through!