Human Rights Activism

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by oregonian420, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Lately, I've been feeling like there's something I need to do.

I go to school all day then come home to clean the house, take care of plants and animals, make dinner, and so fourth, but I still feel like I have something to do though I'm not quite sure what it is.

The world has never quite sat right with me and I've been feeling more and more like there's something I can, and need to do about it. I still feel like a small child and I'm not sure how to "adult." I'm still finishing high school but college isn't too far away and I want to major in something that can have an effect on the world. I'm just not sure what that is. I want to travel the world to report on human rights violations in other countries, particularly in conflict zones (ex. when South Africa had civil war over blood diamonds). Try to end child soldier recruitment and human trafficking/slavery.

I just feel like there's more to life than the American Dream routine and making out with my boyfriend.

I was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge on the subject and could at least point me in some sort of direction.

*not really sure where this type of post goes. sorry.*

2. Knowledge on human rights violations, or what to study to pursue that goal?

I definitely agree about the modern American Dream. I think it was initially people seeking liberty from oppression, now it's about exploitation,materialism and superficial ideals.

Hurray to you wanting to do something positive.

It immediately reminded me of Amber Lyon who worked for CNN, and covered the Arab Spring and the human rights violations therein. Sadly, they never made a documentary about her and her colleagues work exposing the conditions in Bahrain.

Maybe check out her story or contact her. She got emotionally sucked into (like any feeling human being should) the horrors that were taking place and it lead her down a dark path, so to speak.

She no longer works for CNN, she has since treated herself to heal the emotional devastation, and started an independent website reset.me

3. Both, I suppose but mostly what to study to achieve that goal. It would also be nice to know ways I could get involved at least a little bit or how to properly educate myself in the meantime between now and actually starting a career.

I've heard of Bahrain but don't know much about it. I will definitely check that out.

4. Also, a fellow by the name Justin Wren helps oppressed Pygmys in Africa.

Maybe just think of a cause that strikes your heart strings and contact a foundation that helps them. You could study to be a professional writer or get hands on and rely on your experiences to mold your story, or both.

Couldn't you study journalism?

5. I would say get involved with debate. Get involved with making speeches. Learn more about the humanities, civil liberties, and a pursuit of communications. Art, Film, Music, Writing, Theatre, Dance, etc etc. Maybe you want to engineer or invent something and give it away as a human gesture, there are many ways to be helpful to humanity and humanitarian events.

There are many ways to help and get involved, many needs, organizations, etc. You just have to figure out what it is you want, and how you can serve what is in your own best interests while serving in the best interests of others..

Sound good? Someone once said, if you want purpose and do not have one, someone will find one for you, in fact, everyone seems to want to do that for you.

Find your own, what moves you, and you'll be fine.

6. Start now. Read up on the numerous violations committed by the US government.

Then lambaste twitter, FB, etc etc highlighting said violations. Spreading awareness is what you can do right now.

Sent from Donald Trump's orange testicles

• Like Like x 2
  7. Where can I get that information? The Internet only has so much and it's all pretty well known already.

8. If you go to school, maybe apply for a Study Abroad program if your school has those. Or, just a political campaign of someone you actually trust and believe in. You could also help out at local food pantries to help make a difference for the disenfranchised.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The best thing you can do is join Model UN at your school. It will help you gain exposure to issues and what not.

Read read read from a variety of news sources. Take political science courses in college as well as social sciences. Perhaps consider majoring in International Relations

10. Join the Peace Corps if they're still around and kicking this day and age. You can wish all you want for the world to be a better place but I'd start close to home, try to get involved in local public service

11. Use what info you can find to spread awareness on social media.

Check out BDS, if you like what it's about let me know and I can hook you up with like minded people and groups.

Агент апельсин

• Like Like x 1
  12. I like the new avatar haha

• Like Like x 1
  13. What rights to you believe humans have?

-Yuri

14. Every human has natural born rights that they have just for being human.

Freedom of speech and expression, right to learn, right to have dignity, pursue happiness, live free, have the ability to maintain and improve health, have food and shelter. Shit like that. There's so many things that people deserve to have for being natural born humans. Human rights are natural rights.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Define natural rights? What makes one entitled to these things?

They can easily be taken away. How are we above nature? How are we above evolution?

-Yuri

16. "General: Fundamental human rights based on universal natural law, as opposed to those based on man-made positive law. Although there is no unanimity as to which right is natural and which is not, the widely held view is that nature endows every human (without any distinction of time or space, and without any regard to age, gender, nationality, or race) with certain inalienable rights (such as the right to 'life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness') which cannot be abrogated or interfered with by any government. And that, whether or not these rights are enshrined in a national legal code, no government is lawful if it fails to upholds them."

Natural rights doesn't mean we are above nature or evolution, it means we are a part of it. To think we are above or to imply that's what natural rights are is silly.

• Like Like x 1
  17. OK so then I ask.

What does right to life mean? Free food/water/shelter? What if there isn't enough to go around? Is it the right to fight/work for it? Kill for it?

What is the right to liberty? Not being in a cage? Do we have the right to our own property? What if all the properties are taken? What is liberty exactly? What are you free to do?

Happiness? Seems a bit subjective yea? Dies a cerial killer have a right to kill?

Its not that I disagree with you. Perhaps I'm confused myself. What rights do we really have?

Education? How do we have a right to education? Di I have a right to your memories? Secrets? Opinions?

-Yuri

18. Right to life would be easily sustainable I'm a communist community, the only issue is trying to find someone with a pure enough vision to be able to uphold it well and properly. We are free to do anything that doesn't hurt other people so by that logic, serial killers don't have a right to kill but if it makes them happy, they have a right to desire and imagine it. Education is also a right as the mind is like a plant and requires certain things to grow. To cripple the mind is to cripple the human.

• Like Like x 1
  19. that wasn't my question. Don't get the wrong idea I hope you don't think I'm attacking your views. More like clarifying.

What I want to know is what is included in the right to life any why.

Do we have a right to our fair share of food and water? Do we also have a right to be born?

What if there are too many people? Am I not allowed to be born because there wouldn't be enough water for me?

What if lots of people have swimming pools? Do I have a right to be born at the cost of losing those pools?

Is there stipulations tied to these rights? Must I be a productive member of society to earn my food? Its not really a right then is it? If I disagree with and hate society am I still entitled to my rights?
    how is this right compatible with communism? Does me owning "excess" money food and property directly hurt hungry poor and homeless people?

What is defined as excess? Again do I have a right to be born?

to what extent?

High school? College? Masters?

-Yuri

20. Honestly, you're annoying me. Figure it out for yourself. Excessive questions are fine, but I'm not one for explaining things I feel I've already explained. Do some research on your own, you can't expect to be fed every piece of knowledge.