Hugelkultur NoTill Indoor Organic Grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by TMCCViking, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Hello Everyone. I've created this thread to follow/document my own unique grow and to offer a platform for conversations, advice, and knowledge to be passed around one another.
    Hugelkultur is a gardening method that definitely sparked my own interests. Living in rural, coastal Alaska, and winter approaching, I wish to bring hugelkultur indoors in a notill setting.
    Firstly, i gathered well rotted logs along the beach. Then began the smashing party. And filled my 11gal pot 1/4 full
    20180822_235831.jpg
    A few inches of fresh and dry leaves mix
    20180822_235920.jpg
    A few inches of decaying green material, ewc, compost +handful of alfalfa and kelp
    20180823_000848.jpg
    Then topped with amended soil, transplanted my 1 month girl, filled with more amended soil.
    20180823_011029.jpg
    20180824_012504.jpg
    LSTd her immediately after successful Transplant.
    Here's another pic the next day after i topdressed with 1/8 cup alfalfa and kelp and mulched with fresh/dry leaves mix.
    20180825_152941.jpg 20180825_152858.jpg 20180825_152920.jpg

I will be trying to do weekly photos and updates. I definitely want to allow her to get larger before flipping to flower. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. If anyone wishes to spread some knowledge and give advice/tips please feel free to drop your .02 cents here.

• Like Like x 3
  2. I'm subbed. Looking forward to seeing how this works indoors.
    Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 old shol4evr, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    delete

• Like Like x 1
  4. subbed

• Like Like x 1
  5. Very interesting subbed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 1
  6. The wood was the only thing from the beach, and guessing by how rotted it was(literally falling apart) it had been there for quite some time. I believe rain from lovely mother nature had washed it enough :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 old shol4evr, Aug 28, 2018
    delete

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sorry for the confusion. I am on the ocean, right on the Berring Sea. Where i live is utterly treeless, just miles and miles of tundra, peat bogs, berry feilds, permafrost fed ponds and lakes, and the lonely mountains way off in the distance lol. So my only source of logs are those which have journeyed down rivers, into the ocean, and washed ashore the beach.

Bugs is nice and simple to take care of. For the moment, i do an occasional neem oil/silica spray. Once my neem cake i ordered arrives i will top dress with that. My first time using Neem, but the praise it receives for being the perfect weapon against pests and mold just tells me it is amazing. And it feeds the soil as it breaks down. Win win in my book. Secondly, i used homemade crab shell meal in the soil so the whole chitin/chitinase deal is another defense against bugs. I'm extremely against any insecticidal sprays that one has to buy. Neem gets the job done just fine and allows me to stay completely organic :weed:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Btw old shol4evr, how'd you go about setting up your outdoor hugelkultur beds? I want to try an outdoor bed next spring, thinking to set it up now before the first freeze comes. And plant in it come spring

• Like Like x 2
  10. This looks interesting ...Save me a seat , please !

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 old shol4evr, Aug 29, 2018
    delete

12. #12 old shol4evr, Aug 29, 2018
    delete

13. #13 old shol4evr, Aug 29, 2018
    delete

14. #14 old shol4evr, Aug 29, 2018
    delete

• Like Like x 1
  15. I do want to try some companion planting with cover crops, clover sounds perfect for the job. I'll look into getting some ordered soon.
    The tricky situation for me, is that if i dig into the native soil. About 1ft down i hit ice/permafrost. So I'm thinking to just lay some logs down and create a hill of soil over em. Seems like a good plan.

16. Quick update. Plant is looking beautiful and appears to be doing well post transplant. Seemless transition. Trying to decide wether to veg for 2 more weeks or 1 more month then flip to flower. I'll post some pics later today

17. 20180828_190358.jpg
    Lol the mattress in the picture o_O
    Everything is looking good so far. Except some lower small leaves are yellowing, to be expected though so no biggy. But there is one set of leaves that appears unhealthy, shriveling up, dying etc... Trying to determine as to why. Started happening before i transplanted. Hopefully it bounces back because i dislike clipping leaves off. Anyone else want to join the party and show off their plants, grow room, garden? :dance2:

• Like Like x 1
  18. I’m awake and bored so I’ll join in. Coming back to soil this winter, as soon as I finish up what I have going in coco. Got about 110 gallons of homemade soil cooking in totes. Two bales of Sunshine mix#4, 1/2 bag coarse Perlite, 25# composted chicken manure and 25# earthworm casting. Amended with crab meal, feather meal, fish bone meal, seabird guano, high N guano, high phos guano, k-mag, kelp meal, neem meal, alfalfa meal, oyster shell flour, lime.

Here are some shots of what I have going now

Just added this Rainmaker to flower. It will take up half my 4x4 by week 4 of flower. It’s been vegging for about 8-9 weeks
    FA044A2B-43D1-467B-BFA4-FD7255BDE278.jpeg

My first try at a scrog with a single Orange Skunk in a 24” x 36” concrete mixing tub of supersoil. It’s under a homemade 4-qb120 setup at 240 watts. I’m going for close to a lb here and trying for 1-2 grams per watt.

F1A2093D-4F87-4E04-A611-F277817E4E18.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  19. I am digging it man. Beautiful plants. Nice dark healthy green. When you say you are going back to soil does that mean you were using hydro/bottles and stuff and are switching back to nice true organic soil? If so i applaud you my man. That scrog looks bad ass. Thats somwthing i know i'd have trouble doing. I just can't bring myself to chop off healthy leaves :bang:. Loving that plentiful admendment line up, just curious as to what ratios you used added it all? Any form of rock dust in the mix? My soil was a lil simplier base was equal parts dr earth potting soil, vermicompost, and peat based compost. Heavy on rockdust, some alfalfa, some kelp, homemade oyster shell flour and crab shell meal, and heavy on perlite( really wanted lava rocks or buckwheat hulls but perlite was all i could source). And that's a really cool looking light. Lol me and my hobo cheap ways went with cfls :jump: after this grow i'll upgrade to a cmh i think.

20. Yes, I forgot there’s basalt rock dust in there too. I would say about 3-5 cups of most amendments. Lighter on the guanos and Kmag.

I’ve been growing drain to waste coco for awhile now. The yields and potency are great but I have stage 4 colorectal cancer with metastasis to my liver and possibly a lung so I’ve started RSO for treatment. Since this is medicine for me, I figured it should probably be as clean as possible.