HPS?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by deeeznuttz, Mar 17, 2017.

1. I dont get it HPS is SOOO much cheapter the led... I think im going to get a 1000w HPS for only what $20 ? wow ...

Also tho guys i have a fixture for a HPS but it has no ballast or fan or whatever im assuming HPS `1000w would be too much heat. Whats the max wattage i could put in their thanks? i will have good airflow tho to help move the heat. .because i have a 150w HPS on one of my plants but i think its growing it too slow lol

2. the 1000 watt of power will not make the plant grow faster unless it already out grown the 150 hps . and if your in veg you should be running metal halide if your in a rush grow slightly faster then the hps . butt for the heat what size room do you have ? i heat a room thats is a 20/20 with two 1000 watt hps to 65 degrees f when its 25f out side so there is a lot of heat ! needs to be vented out .

3. I got my tent in my bedroom and didn't need to turn my electric heater on all winter (I have a 400w hps/mh), since I exhaust into the room it kept temps up. Sorry off topic.. your post just made me realise that lol..

• Like Like x 2
  4. im in flower...

[​IMG]

5. I'd like to buy a 1,000w HPS setup for $20.00 also

Can you share where you're buying it?

Thanks

J

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yeah, they go for about $200 minimum. More like 220-250. Nice top end 1000 watt hps rigs are 300-500. IMO it's the best way to go if you want real growing power and you don't have a significant investment to make in lights. The price is so low it's hard to resist.

• Like Like x 4
  7. It's not letting me link you for some reason this is it though
    =[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. LOL... That's just the bulb. You need a reflector/vented hood with socket, a ballast, probably a fan and ducting, hangers. That's not a complete light fixture.

Complete fixtures are $200 at least.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yea i have all that though... minus the ballast.. and i think ballast are only like $60 ?

10. It depends on the brand. You can link amazon if you erase the http://

This is one of the cheapest full fixtures I may think about. It even comes with a timer for $199.
    www.amazon.com/dp/B005F6BI1Y/ref=twister_B00EJ771VG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    [​IMG]

This is another one in the range.
    www.amazon.com/dp/B005ECZVXK/ref=twister_B00EP0D3AU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    [​IMG]

Here's a higher end ballast. It can do double ended or single 1000/750/600 bulbs. Compatible with their dual 600 watt splitter where you can run two 600 watt bulbs from a single 1000 watt ballast.
    www.amazon.com/SolisTek-Double-Digital-Ballast-STK1001DE/dp/B00L1Z59BI/ref=sr_1_4?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1489797915&sr=1-4&keywords=solis+tek+1000w+ballast

• Like Like x 1

11. ok i could hook up my carbon filter and ducting to go through this? or you suggest buying separate one ?

12. Be careful with those cheap ballasts. Many times they aren't FCC certified and produce a *TON* of RF noise. Like enough noise to where it will knock out your wifi or even your neighbor's.

13. Lmao thanks for heads up I have learned so much that paying more for more quiet products is better

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. I could drive down a street with an AM radio and pinpoint which houses are running cheap ballasts, they produce that much RF noise. Seriously, its a huge red flag. There are workarounds for that, but investing in a quality ballast is a good idea anyways.

15. Solis-Tek makes nice equipment. I've got two of their 1000 watt ballasts and the light splitter. It's convenient having a timer built into it. They're not the cheapest but I believe in buying a quality product.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  16. Solistek makes good stuff. Galaxy makes good stuff. Of course Gavita makes top notch ballasts. I've personally had excellent luck with my Apollo Purple Reign. Their low end ballasts are junk, but their top of the line ballast has been quite good, and the RF interference is pretty negligible.

• Like Like x 1
  17. You want a vented hood unless you have a large room heat is going to be hard to manage without one. I don't feel that confident in the ipower but the apollo is well reviewed enough.

That's exactly how you want to hook it up. Carbon filter in the top corner of the tent hooked to intake light hood. Output of light hood to fan intake and ducted to outdoors. That's how you keep a small grow in temp range with a 1000 watt hps.

The interference problems are mostly a problem with older magnetic ballasts. That's more from the era of companies dumping the cheap magnetics when everyone switched to digital.

18. Cheap digital ballasts produce a ridiculous amount of RF interference. It's the same reason that cheap microwaves can sometimes knock out wifi signals. They aren't shielded for shit.

19. I bought a 1k kit at local hydro for 150 including ultra sun bulb.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  20. Get a 315w dual end CMH for about $300 and you get the ballast/reflector/bulb along with 8-20% efficiency over a similar sized HPS.

Also LED are at a higher price point due to higher photon density and relatively new technology IE a 100w LED COULD perform like a 300-400w T5 array IF you use the proper COBs and Drivers, PCBS like Mars ect have a lower output than a proper COB and driver configuration; and will perform more like an HPS but without the same yeild unless you do your homework.

The YouTube channel you want is called Gromau5 or Greengene's Garden you will become an expert on affordable custom built LEDs in no time! They both live stream and regularly answer questions from viewers.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1