HPS or HID lights which one is better for growing

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by generaldahnke13, Feb 15, 2009.

1. if any other sugestions please tell.

2. This question was asked here 100 times and answered 100 times, why don't you try using the Search feature ? and you'll find it right away...

3. MH=Metal Halide / HPS=High Pressure Sodium........MH/HPS=HID......HID is High Intensity Discharge, which describes the TYPE of lighting.

T5/T8/CFL are all fluorescent lighting.(Type)

So........HID lighting (MH for veg/HPS for flower) is better for growing.

4. #4 champloo, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2009
    You use Metal Halide to grow the plant (18 hours on, 6 hours off), then when you want to bud, you change to High Pressure Sodium, 12 hours on, 12 hours off.

5. I veg with T5 and flower with HPS.
    18/6 for 1-2 months, then 36 hours of darkness, 12/12 flowering.

Miracle Gro (24-8-16) for veg.
    Schultz (10-15-10) for flowering.

AMAZING RESULTS!! :hello:

6. Hi, I'm a Newbie to indoor growing and I just bought a 400w HPS. Now I'm starting to think I should have bought a HID switchable system. Can someone please comment on how these systems are (how good they work) compared to me going out and buying a whole new MH setup.

Thanks!

7. #7 Chunk, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009

Rather than buy a whole new system, look into one of these bulbs for your HPS ballast. It is a ceramic metal halide lamp that is designed to operate on your ballast. It has the blue spectrum like the MH lamps...............check it out: Phlips MasterColor Ceramic Metal Halide ~ CMH ~ HPS-Retro White

8. Wow!!! Thanks for that info. Have you tried the bulb yourself?

9. No, read about it on these forums. I have a switchable ballast that runs both types. There is a great read on here somewhere about a guy that uses them though. Try the search function and query ceramic metal halide and do some reading. It will save you having to buy any more equipment. Also, for a conversion type bulb, the price is good.

10. follow the link in my signature

11. Did you do any research before you went and bought it? 400W HPS can easily flower around 3-5 plants and get some quality buds. But you will need lights to vegetate your plants with, you can go down two paths: Metal Halide lighting, which is faster and debately produces better results, or Fluorescent bulbs (CFL/T5), cheaper to run & buy and easier to get to specific parts of the plant.

Go and spend about a week doing some research on all parts of growing, i read up on everything before i planted my first seed and mistakes still were made.

12. Thanks everyone. I've decided to get a switchable ballast and start the veg with a 400w halide. I've been reading day and night on the forums so I don't eff the whole thing up. Just put the little girls in soil today and while I'm waiting on the ballast to arrive they will be under 2 Fluors... softwhite and daylight.