HPS lighting setup help PLEASE? PLEASE?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by actont2001, Feb 6, 2013.

1. #1 actont2001, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
    Hi.
    I am kinda new to growing..and currently grow Hydroponically indoors with CFL's...(just wanted to learn a bit with limited expenses until I know what I am doing).

My question is.....

I want to rid my cfl's (and use them as side lamps), and use HPS for the main lighting.

I have seen HPS 400W bulbs on eBay for about $14.00 ..but what I do NOT understand is the base it has. Most of them state an E39 screw in base for the HPS....What is the normal Base for a normal light?..do I need an adapter to turn it into a normal base so I do not have to buy a new ballast..or is tha just looking for a fire????

Also, can I use a 400W HPS wired into a normal wall outlet without having to rewire anything with no danger of an electrical fire?

I am only growing about 3 plants at a time hydroponically.

Please, if someone can point me in the right direction on a cost efficient HPS setup I would be very appreciative...it is a closet grow.

What do I need to set this up properly without any risk of burning my house down?..lol.

Digital ballasts are expensive..and I really do not understand them.

Any help..or perhaps a link to a complete CHEAP HPS setup would be great!

Was currently looking at this.....

http://www.accesshydroponic.com/ga-...ng-reflector-grow-light-kit.html#.URLJMLJlRTY

Is this an okay buy for just a small 3-4 plant Hydroponic grow system in a closet space?

2. No one ever gets a little bit pregnant, sometimes you just gotta take that jump,....and all the other cliché's that go with trying to straighten out a misguided newbie....such as yourself...?

whatever made you think that trying to understand HPS lighting is tougher to learn than DWC....? go figure!!!

Plant your seeds or clones in 3 gallon pots and allow to sit under a 400w HPS/Mh setup at a distance of 18 inches....it's that simple
    Stop trying to cut costs and enthusiasm on your part, and be prepared to change your attitude

see link for your consideration:
    Purple Apollo Horticulture 400w Grow Light Dimmable Ballast with Detachable Fins Cool Tube Hood Reflector and Metal Halide(MH) and High Pressure Sodium(HPS) Light Bulbs, 120v Power Cord + Rope Ratchet: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

"V"

3. Vostok..wtf are you talking about?..DWC is easy!..just sucks with CFL's!..my DWC is growing great!...but wanted to switch to HPS next grow...so dont answer if you are just going to be an idiot.

and PS..you didnt answer any of my questions at all!

4. Pretty sure he sent you a link that would alleviate all of your questions and concerns. You asked to point you in the direction of an affordable hps kit, so he did. Buy the kit or one similar that Vostok posted and you'll be happy. If you don't have the patience to Google or search these questions (which are pretty simple) than you're going to have one tough grow. Show some respect to everyone who tries to help you out.

5. Since you're switching from CFL to HPS, I assume you have a ventilation plan? The kit that Vostok so kindly linked you to doesn't come with ducts or fans.