HPS lightbulb

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by llockhart86, Apr 3, 2006.

1. I was lookin at home depot.com to price out some bulbs and this is what I found.

Philips
    Ceramaluxâ„¢ 1000 Watt Clear High Pressure Sodium Bulb
    Model C1000S52/ALTO
    Price: $51.15/ea

Does this sound right? Its without the fixture. Im going to be growing 4 plants in a small grow space. I dont think 4 plants need 1000w hps bulbs...but the price doesnt sound right.

2. dude for 4 plants in a small space a 400w would be more than enough, u realize how much heat comes from hps lighting especially a 1000w hps=need 4 good ventilation ur probably going to need an atleast 350cfm fan in there sucking air from inside the box through the hood of your light and out..... Its a good idea to have ur setup planned out as much as possible before u even start putting it together

3. Yeah I know, I was going to use a 250w for the 4 plants, but decided that I wanted more lumens, and I was browsing and ran across the 1000w bulb for 50 bucks. i just thought they were more expensive than that, and if they arent, then i know how much money im going to be putting into the lighting.

4. llockhart,
    Don't forget that not only do you need the bulb but you also need a ballast to run the thing (like you said). So $50 is only a starting point if you don't have a ballast.

5. It is going to be much more expensive than that... the fixture costs a lot more than the bulb, man.

6. Cool. Thanks, Thats what i was assuming. sorry for all the super newb questions. but, you gotta start somewhere. and trust me, i have taken all of your guys' advise and I have been sitting here on this forum reading and reading, and im learning a lot...im just trying to put the pieces together. thanks a lot guys.