hps light no ballast?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TATtheHOOD, Jan 12, 2013.

1. So I just found a strait wired hps light with nothing but a plug coming out of the fixture. It was in my garage...lol. u can tell someone did this to it. Is that dangerous?

2. No balast no workey

U sure its a HPS?

3. May be MH. But def one or the other. On the top of the fixture it says HPS light....typed with like a label maker or something.

4. Well either mH or HPS will require a ballast

Try plugging it in you'll see it won't fire.

5. You sure the ballast isn't attached to the hood?

6. Is it one of those outdoor street light style hps lights? Those have the ballast built in.

7. Yes that's what it is....son it would be safe to plug it into a power strip?

8. if it's outdoor, I think they're all 220v, you may not have a suitable outlet.

9. OK. It would plug strait into a wall in my house...

10. I'm not home at the moment but I will post later

11. Pictures man pictures
    they tell a thousands words

12. Am I not supposed to put links up or something? The last 2 times I did it everyone stopped replying.

13. the link shows a very large selection of light options.....whatever you found dont use it until you are sure it isnt homemade...I have seen alot of 240v ballast with 110v cords,which is a fire hazard...dont wanna burn your stuff down you know.

14. Yeah I feel that. I already ordered something else so I'm not worried about it...I just thought it was kinda weird

15. your right tho those do have the ballast built inside magnetic one
    but like everyone says if it was for out side then it would be a 240V

what did you order any ways?

16. very nice man very nice

17. Yeah but its foe closet grow(my first grow) and I'm having trouble coming up with heat control ideas. Right now I just have my sprouts sitting under 10 100w equivalent CFLs. But when that light gets here I plan on hanging it and using it when the plants start to veg. Can you think of any good heat control options? I'm only doing 3 plants.