HPS light heat

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Deleted member 1069137, Sep 20, 2018.

1. I am using a 400 watt HPS light. I have a 32x32x63 tent. My light is about 4-6 inches from the grow tent wall. Is this ok? I am worried it will burn through the tent and catch fire. What do you think?

2. #2 old shol4evr, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    delete

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OK Thanks for the info but I am wondering is it hot enough to burn a hole through my tent at 4-6 inches from the tent wall? I just got it today and it is so hot when compared to my 300 watt LED. Thanks

4. is it in an air cooled hood.?
    if you cannot touch the part that is 4" from the tent then it is too close.!
    if it is just the hood that close you should be fine.!!

my 400's were air cooled and i could touch the fixture anywhere,
    directly under/over the bulb was very hot, but not burning my skin.

5. I have a 600w in cooled hood in a 4x4 tent with a 6" inline fan as the extractor/hood cooler running at half power usually and I can touch the hood anywhere and its barely warm If yours is hot enough to burn you I will guess you do not have a inline fan hooked up to it? then you can't even grow plants under it in my opinion.. I would bet on it at least melting the mylar on the inside of the tent, maybe not burn through the canvas on the outside but either way if it's that hot you'll kill whatever you put under it

6. I will clarify that I dont mean you can't grow plants under a non cooled hid lamp, but if that lamp gets that hot in a tent.........

7. I drilled a 4" hole in the top of my hood, connected Ducting and silicone around the edges of the Ducting. 4" fan extracting heat on other end. Helps a lot

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. I ordered a hood and I just got it today, but before I was using it without a hood and it was about 4 to 6 inches away from the mylar tent wall and it felt very hot when I touched the mylar. The hood will probably help alot. Ill get it installed and see what happens. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Anyone know where to get some extra hanging bars for my tent?

10. eBay has them

11. Yeah I did find those. They are to much im gonna have to make something. Thanks

12. Get some PVC and look through the hardware store for any kind of bracket or maybe a hook. Or just get some strong zip ties or string and drill a hole through the new bar so you can secure it to the tent bars..

• Like Like x 1
  13. i could never use a tent.....too small..