Hps for veg????

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Koa330, Dec 15, 2012.

1. If I do the paper towl method to germ then put them I n party cups will my 600watt hps be sufficient for vegging? 18\6 light for veg 12/12 for flower. What should I expect? Thanks for any and all advice!!!!

2. yea keep it far when the plants are young but you could just get some clf until third set of leafs show before you start using all that energy the plants will stretch more with hps leading to more space between internodes then the bud wont stack up as much and will be a lil more spaced out leading to slightly less yeild, dont kid your self hps is perfectly fine for veg its not a big deal if you dont have the mh i prefer hps to mh for vegging a mother for clones.

3. the 600 hps will do , as it produces plenty of light for the young ladies. metal halide (mh) bulbs tend to veg plants better than hps, but the hps is fine, and can be used throughout the cycle. gl

4. Your plants won't be as compact as if vegged under MH, but they will do fine.

5. Alot of growers use HPS from start to finish but like mentioned they wont be as compact with tighter inter node spacing. For clones, seedlings and short term veg growth I use T5 high output grow lights. They produce less heat which means you can have them much closer to the plants then HPS or MH.

6. Thanks everyone for all the help. I love this site!!its by far the best social network. Fuck Facebook! I will take all this into consideration. I really screwed up my first set of seeds. They're all dead now. At first my light was too far away and they were stretching really bad and the stems became week. Then I think I put the light too close cause they didn't make it. What's a good distance between light and seedlings in inches? My hps is my only option at this point so that's what I'm working with. Thanks again!!!!!

7. As long as heat is ok, you can go pretty close. I started my hps at 22", lowered to 18" a day or two later and will probably drop it to 15" or so today. I just watch canopy temps and the plants.

You can also find enhanced spectrum hps bulbs that have a higher level of blue in them that may help a bit in veg.