Hps distance from tops

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Capt. Cannabis, Nov 8, 2006.

1. What would be the ideal distance from lamp to tops for a 250W Hps. Also you would gradually bring it closer, at what times and how far each time. Thanks.

2. Once the plants are established you want the light as close as possible without burning the plants. To test, hold the back of your hand to the light at plant-top level, if you can hold it comfortably for 30 seconds then it's OK. For a 250w that probably will be 8-12". The better your air ventilation for cooling the closer you can move the light.

When the sprouts first pop out of the soil start the light at about 2 feet and lower a couple of inches every day or so.

3. if you have alot of air moving around you can even get it closer than that. my 250w was about 5", now i've got a 400w and i run that around 8-10" away. it all comes down to airflow. if you've got a fan positioned to blow across the tops of the plants you can get a 400w down to 5", but yes the "hand check" is always good.

4. Man I didn't realize I could get that close I had it at 18" I guess tomorrow I will be lowering it a bit. Thanks for the Info.