hps and ballast wiring help please

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by sensison, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Hi All,

This is my first time wiring hps lights and a ballast and I am running into some problems, the guides online are a bit confusing so I thought I would ask for advice.

Below is a pic of the ballast. I'm pretty sure that the wiring from the wall plug should go into the L and N slots on the 'chocolate block,' the white wiring block in the bottom left of the pic. (they're usually black in my country and this is our families nickname for this)

Is that correct? Then there is the slot for Earth I assume and the last one for LR (not sure that this is.

Ok now, Ive got my socket, should these two wires connect to the two pins on the outside of the box in pic 1? Doesn't the bulb need to be grounded?

Then I've also read about grounding the ballast, is this where the wire comes from the earth slot in the 'chocolate block' and goes to where? Does one need to ground the bulb and reflector too?

I'm really sorry to bother with this, I just want to make sure it's all safe and above board don't want anything to fry. :D (except me after my fat one)

Any help would be much appreciated, I can post more pics if needed.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Definitely ground the ballast to your wall plug and yes the L and N from the wall plug go into the same block but I'm not sure why there's an L and LR. What you've done with wiring so far looks fine. The outputs on the front are for the bulb yes, no ground needed. Bare in mind I'm not an electrician so I'd be careful and don't blame me for any fatalities.

3. Hi Optical

Thanks for the reply and help so far! Great!

I've actually not done any wiring yet, that is how the boxes came from the shop.
    Ok cool so I'll connect the thew buld socket to the front two pins and the the plug from the wall to the L and N connectors.
    Now just to figure out where to ground, I'm pretty sure the little symbol next to LR is for ground but I'm not sure if this is correct or where I should ground it to.

Thanks again! Have a great evening!

4. Surely if I connect the bulb socket to the ballast via the two outside pins it would make the ballasts box live? Is this then why the ballast must be earthed at the wall plug? Or am I incorrect? Sorry just want to get a good handle on this.. :)

5. Hi all

Ok, so I connected the wall plug to the ballast as per the pic below, Live, Neutral and Earth. Correct?

The the second pic shows the two pins on the outside of the box, they are plastic bolts with metal nuts on them. It appears that these pins just keep the components in place within the ballast.

My question is, where do I connect the bulb sockets two wires to?

The third pic is the other side of the ballast, its got two holes to feed wiring through to inside the ballast. Is this where I should be bringing the cord from the lights socket in to the ballast? Where am I supposed to connect it in the ballast?

Any help much appreciated. My house has a thatch roof so I want to be careful of fire hazards.

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

6. #6 Optical, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2012
    Oh that makes more sense. What you've done is fine. Just connect the lamp to the N(NR) and LR terminals (1st pic of last post) through those holes (3rd pic of last post). With the LR going to the centre pin of the lamp/socket and N(NR) to the outside thread of lamp/socket.

7. Hi Optical,

Thanks very much for the reply! Kinda like this?

The two black wires (Neutral) both go into the N (NR) and the Red (Live) from the socket into the LR.

Attached Files:

8. Yes, that's it. The wire going out the bottom of the pic (connected to L and N(NR)) goes to the wall plug/socket and the one out the right of the pic (N(NR) and LR) goes to the lamp socket. So they share a neutral but the live from the wall supply goes to the L and the live to the lamp goes from the LR... you've got it.

9. Hi Optical,

Thanks very much for all the help! I've got it all connected up and ready to go. Just have a meeting quick then I'm going to test it out. Holding thumbs :)

One last question, is the reason some people ground their reflectors because the socket for the bulb screws onto the metal part of the reflector? If I am making my own reflector which would not touch any parts of the bulbs socket then there's no reason to ground the reflector because there is no current passing through it correct?

I really appreciate all the help! Will let you know how it pans out.

BTW how am I able to give you +rep for the assistance? :hello:

10. Yes, if you bolt your lamp socket onto the reflector or there is any possible way the metal reflector might become live by accident you should ground the reflector just in case... If the socket will be completely out of contact with the reflector then you don't need to. +rep button is at top right of my post, the little button with scales on it.. although you might wanna wait and see if you're still alive after testing before you rep me hahaha.

11. Haha thanks Optical

It's working now!!! Thank you thank you!
    Have a great day!

btw - +rep given thanks!