How would you feel if the government censored the internet?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Silent Nemesis, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Probably is the wrong thread, but oh well. No way the man can do this, has to go against the constitution somehow. And no way Americans will allow this to happen.

2. Fucking rage. If the government does that, wtf they'd suck so much dick.

3. this was actually a topic of mine for my english 101 research paper.

The COICA Internet Censorship and Copyright Bill | Electronic Frontier Foundation
    S. 3804: Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (GovTrack.us)

pretty much, if the courts don't find that if a website is infringing, the attorney general can add them to a blacklist (blacklist numero dos). this blacklist is not forced to isp's, but isp's are treated better if they cooperate with this list.

but all you have to do is be somewhat intelligent when it comes to computers and you can bypass these blacklists and go to whatever site you want.

"All this bill would really do is require hosts of US DNS servers to remove blacklisted sites. You still would be able to access them by direct IP address (or by name if you use a foreign DNS server not subject to this law)."

btw, gotta love the description from my second link: "A bill to combat online infringement, and for other purposes."

i personally think that they are trying to give government full control over american internet under the cover of "battling infringement."

4. Censor? The internet? Bahahahahahahhahahhahahahah. good luck with that:wave:

5. I know some people, and it is no way that it would come anywhere close to being effective if it was passed. You have a VERY small group of people working to secure something, and a very LARGE amount of people trying to break into it.

6. There was quite big talk of them doing this in Australia. Shit is messed. Basically they were saying they would raise our speed and bandwidth to international standards. Then they stated they would put a filter on the internet, but you could get it removed no worries.

So instead of having the choice of putting the filter on your internet, you only had the choice of taking it off.. I like how they do that hey.. This is what happens when the church and state mix under the covers.

7. How would I feel?
    Uh I would think life sucks and I hate the world. Ha.
    Internet is my only supply of news...well pretty much
    everything...entertainment...yeah life would suck.

8. Fuck that.