How would I go about growing as a profession?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by BigTrev521, Jun 13, 2018.

1. #21 Quantary, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    You could grow a nice rack, that opens a lot of doors in the weed industry and every industry. Have you considered going into something like cannabis banking, smoking accessories, vapes, or growing supplies?

The only reason I say that is that there are about 100 people in line for every prime growing job, and all of them will work for less than you and some of them are hot chicks. What are your chances? Also did consider that growing weed for a living may actually get old pretty quick after you realize how little you're getting paid?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I just paid $40 for an oz of Strawberry Cough at the dispensary. We paid way more than that to grow our plant. It's cheaper to buy weed here in Oregon than it is to grow it.

3. WOWZERS

4. Oregon is what happens when there are few restrictions on private growing, within reason. $40 an oz is insane. I'm paying $30 for 1/8th, fuck! If I lived there I might become even stonier.

5. My brother runs a processing company and is buying pounds of outdoor for 100 each

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. The legal risks related to growing weed have diminished greatly. It's no wonder that the capital gains from growing have likewise diminished. As others have said, if you're interested in growing as a business, make sure you're in line early for the various permits and licenses your state will doubtless require.

Personally I'd love to grow medicine for a few patients, but for me the most important thing is I know what I'm getting and how it was grown. Nevertheless, I do have a couple of domain names registered in the off chance I ever end up in business. ;)

7. Also growing alone will never profit you need to hold multiple licenses. Growing, resale wholesale, processing. Otherwise you are constantly competing with thousands of companies. Many of which have multimillionaire backers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Not even close.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Boom isn't over but you need deep pockets and a good game plan. As more and more states legalize BIG money is coming in. The little guy has prolly less than a 5% chance of making it in this profession

• Like Like x 1
  10. I agree with the deep pockets but in the states where it's just going recreational, you may have a good chance if you can find the funding.

11. Did you know Marboro is going into the Cannabis business? They realize tobbaco is losing out. They want in on the big Cannabis craze. It's crazy how now that there are so many legal states, it's big business. We have ads running all the time on Jim Belushi's farm's strains.

12. I heard that Tobacco companies were moving in on Canada. They'll also be a huge player in hemp farming now that the States have made that lega.

13. Man im with the shit i live in moline ill get you a good buisness partner you can trust a canabuddy so to speak

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Now that would be something to worry about; tobacco companies selling their own version of weed that will most likely be grown in the same poisonous crap they use to grow the tobacco for their ciggs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Can the business/growing be run from a house? Or does it have to be in a commercial facility of some sort?

16. -This only pertains to the cultivation side of it-

As far as the state is concerned (CA) it can be at either a residential or commercial property. but you need to check with your county zoning office to see if they permit commercial cultivation in your area, I was going to run it in one of my residential properties but the county said I couldn’t where the house was at.
    Hopefully u have better luck than I did.

17. #38 dabs710, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Here's my experience, I learned the hard way and it relates to many others who grow good weed consistently and are going to be real with you, and not idealistic, and give you the real numbers and facts of the matter.

The more you grow on a higher scale, the less fun it gets, the more stress involved.

If you think as am amateur you can read online, or watch somebody else, and start off with a major growing operation and be successful, 9+ times out of 10 you will be an absolute failure.

Most people have no idea what amount of dedication and work it takes to sell large amounts of high quality pot and get the return back from your work.

Most people would honestly rather not put in that much work, spray nasty shit where they know the general consumer doesn't care and will still buy it if it looks and smells good. Go ahead and make your stuff clean and medicinal, hardly anyone cares but the top connoisseurs and seriously ill patients. The general consumer would rather smoke pre-maturely harvested BHO than stuff that is harvested on-time solely because it has a lighter color and looks more like gold. I know you can harvest good weed on time and still get a lighter color but the majority of the market is throwing out failed grows that they cut down early and get rid of it into oil. They would rather buy the sack of mediocre pot in a fancy package than your 5* caviar in a plastic bag. People will buy your mediocre pot in a fancy package for a higher price than your good bud in a baggie.

The worst scenarios I've bumped into is when I work with investor grows. These are the least fun and most of the time not the best money makers with the amount of work and potential risk (if they run gray / black market or do shady shit even if licensed). I've been hired as the lead grower at different grows and I've pulled my hair out at some point. You will watch people when they are desperate basically beg you for help but when things are going good they will start doing whatever they want, mess something up, and cry about the results later. I had one investor think something was wrong one outdoor season with clones I brought over. One day I came over I saw several dead plants. What was their concern? Instead of calling me, they assumed I had done something wrong when they saw pieces of a rockwool cube at the top of the soil (what the clones came in before sticking into the soil) . I've had people ignore me after I would strip the plants before flower and instead of flipping they would lie and keep the veg cycle going because their stupid asses couldn't believe me that this is a proper indoor grow technique. Afterwards, they cried about all the larf, but admitted once that I was correct about how to strip and flip.The investors often do nothing but give you grow space, half the time they don't even smoke pot, promise you the world with finances and supplies (often will not come through), and will complain and screw things up in the end. I've done pheno hunts where the owners get an emotional attachment to plants with unknown genetics and end up mixing them in flowering clone rooms with established genetics because they behave like they are sad to get rid of them. They have very unrealistic expectations because half the time they don't even understand the plant they're dealing with or the way the market works. There are exceptions but this is what I see most of the time.

The best scenarios I've had is when I started home growing my own supply 100% controlled by me and slowly working my way up. Started with one light, purchased another with money from successful harvest, and more after that. My best pot has came from harvests that are 100% me. Period. This is the route I suggest everybody to take if they want to consider growing is to grow it yourself and build your way up. You are guaranteed to learn what it takes to grow dank on a small scale, and learn how to make and save money to make your grow larger and better. Serve high quality clientele and build connections with them throughout time.

If you have an opportunity to get involved with some investor operation where you are splitting profits, do not expect too much, and if you're feeling stressed because people are doing dumb / shady shit and not listening to you, don't waste your blood, sweat, and tears. Do the bare minimum after that point, take your % cut, and get out. You will be fighting a losing fight to save your quality, and possibly weight.

That's all I have to say.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Become a cannabis industry expert so you know where the pulse is. Listen to interviews, read blogs, listen to industry podcasts, read read read and go to city hall meetings. Then, take the step when if you feel like it's a good risk if you are wanting to start up your own business. We have a lot to be thankful for from the folks who went before us. They made it easier for this second wave concerning regulations and law. It put many out of business because of the constant and sometimes completely random industry changes especially with labeling. I think the industry is still very much a moving target but not as much. It's a good time to get involved in your local politics when it comes to cannabis business. The stronger the industry will be especially to your niche if it's safe growing practices, or protecting small heritage farm grows, or cbd in edibles (which was recently outlawed), etc... things that are important to you and you want to fight for.

• Like Like x 1