how worried should i be about writing a bad check?

Discussion in 'General' started by modern-hippy, May 12, 2009.

1. im thinking of going to a supermarket to get some food. only i have no money... what i do have is an old check book from a bank account i used to have but is closed now. i dont even bank at the same bank any more. the adresss on the checks and my ID is also not my current adress... if i just buy a few small things, how much trouble can i get into for writing a check that i know is no good

2. Well they will make you pay for it eventually....plus it is bad for your credit.....If im not mistaken, using a check that you KNOW will not work is considered theft.

But you gotta eat.......:confused_2:

3. The check would most likely bounce, thus notifying the previous banking company. Don't forget that when setting up a bank account, they may ask for social security, which in turn during an investigation could be used to locate you. If you plan on purchasing a large cart full of items, this will most definitely make some flags go off. I believe the correct term being fraudulence? I shouldnt be quoted on any of this, just giving the raft a little nudge in the water's all.

4. maybe..... prison?

5. ^ yeaaaaa, im all for not writing this check. :) your call op.

6. last time i tried to pay with a bad check
    they ran the check through some machine which instantly notified them that it was bad.

don't know how many places have that incorporated with their cash registers but i advise against it anyway..

7. do a google search for bad check laws and you will find an abundance of information related to your question.

8. Becareful man. It is possible to go to jail for that and I don't want that to happen to you so don't do it.

9. some churches have food dispenseries. usually they have an area set up in the basement that has basic food items where people in need can get groceries free of charge.

check you local churches to see if any have that program.

10. thank you for your good words people... ive decided to not do it

11. Writing a bad check is jail time.

Look up laws in your state for "insufficent funds"

..dude in jail with me got 30 days for a $20 check or some shit

12. seriously

don't do it
    you will risk jail time

a lot of the chicks i was in jail with were there for bad checks.....

so really,
    if you don't have any money, go to a church or a shelter, they have free meals and food

shit happens-- don't be too proud to go take advantage of help that is out there
    (but not proud enough to commit a crime?)

think about it.. best of luck :)