How to use ebb and flow system?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by pokesmotallday, Jan 4, 2012.

1. My friend just got a nice 4x4 ebb and flow system complete with table, res, everything. This is all good except he has no clue how to use it and can't find anything in detail that explains it online...like how should he set the timers, how should the plants be placed into the system, etc. Also, is the res supposed to be covered, because he doesn't have a cover for it.

2. What exactly is the ebb & flow system called? I have a Hydrofarms Mega Garden, but I haven't used it yet lol but will be in less than a week. Keep in mind I'm new to this too, but if your timer has 15 minute intervals, set the timer up so it runs one 15 min. cycle every 2 or 3 hours. As for plant placement, if you're growing from clones (like me), put a layer of Hydroton (or whatever hydro substrate) 1.5" deep, then put the rooted clone on top of that. Then slowly & CAREFULLY put more Hydroton around the rockwool cube to secure it in there. I'd put a thin layer on top of the rockwool too, it'll keep it looking clean. And Yes, you need some form of layer. Does it have individual plant containers or anything?