How to train your Mother?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by jyles, May 7, 2013.

1. Hey guys started a new Big Black Indica from feminized seed about a month and a half ago.. it was topped once before i moved it to my spot and ive topped it 4 times since. I took a picture so u can see all the tops and would just like some advice because im not sure im doing it right and at the right spots .. (1) is the first top that was done..2A and 2B were the second tops off the offshots from the first top.. Now the 3rd tops i just did and after looking more carefully im sure to sure i did em right..did i top it too low? should i have topped it above those shoots second leaf sets? Im under the assumption that because it is a mother i need to be top happy when training because ill be pulling clones off of her .. check out the pic and any advice is appreciated thank u!
    [​IMG]

2. ive been reading that the only valid reason to top is for clones, other than that just tie down and manipulate the auxins

3. #3 joe 60, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
    trainning a mother plant is not easy but if you have done a couple of grows, you should be able to do it with a bit of help 
    the way I would do it is to keep removing all the fan leaves, this will slow the plant right down.

give the plant, food once every two weeks and water the rest of the time, you want the plant to be heathy but low on food so it grow slow.

most the time the plant will be happy with a small twin t5 tube (twin 8w tubes are good for small mother plants)

feed the plant, food every water a week before you take the cutting and increase the light over the plant if you can

leave the plant for a  week to grow some fan leaves before taking cutting, the plants will have loads of nodes so thin the plant out at the same time as taking the cutting

water the motherplant a couple of hours before taking cutting.

growing mother plants in a 5ltr air pot full of soil is good, plants will takes a long time to get root bound

but at the same time a small root mass will help to keep the plant small :)

after taking cutting, cut the plant back so the canopy is  level, just make sure there's a node or heathy leaf at the end of each side braches or that side brach will die

4. ride her doggy