How to tell when to flush in soil

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Corn Man, Dec 6, 2019.

1. I used to always grow the same strain so I had it down to a science, but now I want to try and mix it up each grow and really try what's out there, so I'm curious what's the best way to tell?

I know when to harvest, that's a trichome check
    I know that you flush about two weeks before then
    So do you just check the trichomes for just a single cloudy one or something?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Unless a real Emergency, Never...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Buy a pocket microscope 60x-100x Take 5 tiny rice grain or smaller snips from several places on the plant where the light doesn't shine.
    I like 5-15% amber heads.
    [​IMG]
    upload_2019-12-5_18-15-42.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    One amber is not enough for my taste.

<-- has never flushed soil grown in 40 years. That just silly. Pots or in ground I still wouldn't flush a soil plant.
    I'd re-amend and run in the same soil again and again.
    BNW

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. #4 Josh916, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Flushing for the benefit of a better end product is 100% useful and IMO is mandatory in a synthetic grow. Allowing the plant to completely use up its reserve of stored nutrients vs no flush is night and day difference in your end product. Way smoother. Has way more flavor. Burns so much cleaner. Yes a good dry and cure helps in this area too, but it’s not the biggest factor. Let the plant deplete it’s reserves.

People who argue against the flush just have not done a proper flush and saw the results for themselves. Get the PPM of the medium below 200 the last two weeks and see for yourself.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Flush 3 times the volume off your pot...and jus feed her ph'd water week later give it another flush then...if your happy with your trichs..let the soil dry out for afew dsys then chop! Ive grown in sooil always...you dont need too flush as in hydro..soils a different ball game...usually i just flush the last week...never had a harsh smoke yet and wont either...hope that helps bro..

• Like Like x 1
  6. I always reuse my soil..germ my seeds in it too..still full off nutes...my plants are getting the nutes from the day they sprout..an a couple before...

• Like Like x 2
  7. I'm on my fourth grow with recycled Coco coir, perlite, and amendments. Plants love it and it's way cheaper

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ...Nobody answered my question

I know how to flush
    I know how to tell when my plant is done.

I want to know how to tell when to flush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. #10 killset, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Dont over feed......no reason to flush

If you still want to flush theres absolutley no reason to ph the water. The whole point of flushing is to make nutrients unavailable. The whole point of phing water is to make nutrients available. The plants about ready to be chopped down so ph'ing is 100% unecessary at that point. If anything having the waters ph out of whack would be helpful since it would help make any remaining nutrients useless.

I used to flush my bottle fed grows and then stopped after hearing other growers saying it wasnt necessary if you dont over feed.....guess what they were right. I argued about it at first until i tried it, i then had to serve me up a big ol' piece of humble pie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. The point of flushing to is to make the plant deplete itself of the nutrients it has stored. Ever seen the runoff PPM of a plant late in flower? So much nutrients is in the medium.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. So you’re saying that after caring for my plant for 12 weeks I should just abandon all protocol and starve my plant for 2 weeks??

So magically the plant knows that you’re feeding it just water and it totally reverses all growth functions so that is can purge itself of elements....

Exactly what are you flushing and exactly how does it work?? What science?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2

12. Flush/starve whenever you think its best.......

You’ve gotten pretty good answers. Sounds like you just want someone to co-sign your plan.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aren’t you already breaking protocol when feeding your plant synthetic nutrients?

magically? No.. if there isn’t enough nutrients in the medium what do you think the plant will do?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Answering questions with questions. Red flag .

All you have to Google is "flushing flawed science" "flushing myth" and check out all the scientific FACTS and not *opinions* posted on the matter

• Like Like x 1
  15. You’ll always find exactly what it is you’re looking for. Don’t mistake that for proof. There is more “science” backing up the practice of flushing. The people claiming flushing is pointless is nothing other than opinion.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  16. Yes...from over feeding. Learn not to waste nutrients and not over feed then thats no longer an issue. It comes with experience and learning the basics.

17. #18 Josh916, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    If you’re not burning a plant from too much nutrients how can you ever say the plant was or wasn’t over fed? That doesn’t make any sense. I don’t really understand how people can say flushing is a myth and have zero science to back that up.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. You had your answer immediately, you seem to be looking for another..

• Like Like x 1
  19. Maybe grow a plant one day, find out!

• Agree Agree x 1